UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2013, 2:56 am   #21
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05T TV. A few queries

just encountered an unexpected problem with having this tv.
I've not really used it that much so far, due to lack of working vcr's etc. But tonight i popped in a dvd of Rhubarb, and was suddenly hit with a Macrovision nightmare. I have played a few dvds before, bounced via an Aiwa vhs (without working tape mechanism), but this is the first time i've encountered copy-protection. I'm using my newly repaired Panasonic NV-J35 to bounce dvd & freeview into the tv, out of the vhs' rf.
Is there anything i can do here? it looks like a good percentage of my library will be unwatchable like this.
Old 1st Feb 2013, 10:34 am   #22
ben
Dekatron

You cannot view most prerecorded Dvds via a VCR as its AGC circuit is affected adversely by macrovision. The only way is to try a UHF modulator or use DVD shrink or similar software to make a backup copy of your discs as this will stop the interference.
Old 1st Feb 2013, 11:50 am   #23
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Does anybody by any chance know what year this set is from?
EARLY 1980S. IF YOU LOOK AT THE DATE CODE ON THE MULLARD/PHILIPS INTEGRATED CIRCUITS, IT WILL GIVE YOU THE YEAR OF MANUFACTURE.

Quote:
How does the stand fit to this model?
THE TROLLEY STAND WILL HAVE A RECTANGULAR METAL PLATE AT EACH TOP END OF THE "T" SHAPED METAL ENDS (THAT THE WOOD EFFECT CROSSBAR SCREWS INTO). THERE WILL BE TWO HOLES IN THE TOP METAL PLATES AND THEY ALIGN WITH CAPTIVE THREADED PLASTIC INSERTS IN THE BOTTOM OF THE TV'S CABINET. YOU WILL NEED FOUR METRIC THREADED SCREWS AND FLAT WASHERS TO SECURE THE STAND TO THE TV. I THINK THE SCREWS WILL PROBABLY BE M6.

Regards,

Dazzlevision

Last edited by dazzlevision; 1st Feb 2013 at 11:51 am. Reason: corrections
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 6:45 pm   #24
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Does anybody by any chance know what year this set is from?
It should be around 1981 give or take a year. The exact manufacturing year and week number can be derived from the first part of the sets serial number. If yours has a short serial number, a separate sticker with a few letters and numbers will be on the back or on the chassis.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 7:49 pm   #25
harvestgold
Hexode

Quote:
just encountered an unexpected problem with having this tv.
I have a similar problem with my slightly later Philips / Pye set, however, some of the later VCRs will pass through Macrovision encoded DVDs to the TV without a problem (Macrovision still prevents the signal being recorded though).

My everyday VCR is a Philips VR550 from around 2005-6 ish which works fine and gives an extremely good modulated picture from DVD and is not a bad VCR either although very flimsily built! I also have an early 2000s JVC deck which works similarly and I'm pretty sure my Panasonic SVHS deck from around the same time does as well.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 7:16 pm   #26
Eidolon
Hexode

i've (I've) kind of come up with a way of rigging it to work.

I have my 'watching' VCR (Panasonic) and my V2000 machine both coming in togther on the VCR channel (8).

I found that cChannel 5 worked without distortion, so I have my DVD player, and freeview routed in via the Aiwa, which doesn;t (doesn't) respond to the Macrovision thankfully, to this channel.

The Aiwa is rubbish picture quality, and damages tapes, so it's not really viable as a watching machine. When iI finally have a stand made, I'll just put it at the back, out of view.

I was wanting to get a MediaServer for it as well, that could funnel content from my PC and internet onto the new TV, but the only one I found that suited me turned out to only putput SD in NTSC, so I've had to drop that idea for now

Anyway, I've got a way to get it working.

The TV still needs a general servicing. The Aiwa has no option to change output channel, and the v2000 is really difficult to tune in (I changed the RF output on the Panasonic so I could string both machines togther on the same channel). So I can't change the Aiwa or v2000 to go in on the same channel. Just hoping that cChannel 5 doesn't go like the others and iI can get if fixed in time. It's all about money, which iI don't have much of currently.

I'm probably going out on a very thin limb here, but would there be anyway to get replacement buttons for this set? Channels 1-4, and the on/off button are really owrn (worn). Be nice to replace them if it's remotely possible
Old 17th Dec 2013, 12:12 pm   #27
Eidolon
Hexode

Hi, back after a long abscence

I found a stand that looks as if it'll fit this set, but I haven't collected it yet. The platforms at the top which the set screws to are a bit odd, with gaps at either end, leaving an end of the screwhole open. I have no idea if this is the norm. The gaps look rather large.

But I have no idea what screws to get so I can connect the TV to it, no idea at all about either the thread or length required. I assume i will need washers too?

I'm hoping to collect the stand early January. Could somebody please advise me on what screws I can get to fit?

Thanks very much.
Old 18th Dec 2013, 3:35 pm   #28
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I think you'll need to get the stand first. There are threaded nylon bosses in the base of the TV which are very unlikely to be in the right place for your new stand. You could make up a plate which locates with the holes in the TV and fit the four screws. They are short, but the thread and diameter escape me. Of course many people just used short woodscrews with a big washer, though I'm sure many of us have seen them attached with massive ones that came throught he cabinet - definitely not recommended!
Post a picture when you get the stand. Alarming to think how many of these we threw away!
Glyn
Old 18th Dec 2013, 6:56 pm   #29
Eidolon
Hexode

I had the stand extensively measured before buying it, and it all seems to fit right for the TV's screw holes, fingers crossed. But getting the right screws, then to get them to attach to the stand, which has rather large, and 'open at the ends' holes is going to be a bit tricky. clearly rather large washers will be required.

I was ideally looking for one with a midway crossbar, but this one, which is the only one I've seen since searching has a VCR shelf built into it at the bottom. My ITT V2000 machine should go nicely on it.
Old 20th Dec 2013, 3:14 am   #30
Eidolon
Hexode

this is the stand. does the picture help?

I'm pretty sure it should be the right size for my TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	86995  

Last edited by AC/HL; 20th Dec 2013 at 4:04 am. Reason: Link converted to an attachment
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 10:16 am   #31
mark pirate
Dekatron

That looks like a Ferguson TX stand, the four large holes were where the plastic feet of the set located, then fixed with two screws to the bottom of the sets cabinet.

Mark
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 1:44 pm   #32
Eidolon
Hexode

Does that mean I won't be able to attach my Philips? I was wondering why the 'screw-gaps' at the top seemed so unusual. Thanks, makes sense now.
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 5:33 pm   #33
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Ah yes - the feet fitted into the gaps. We loved those stands - no fiddling about under the TV to locate screw holes - you simply plonked it on and the screws (if, ahem, still present) were in the right place.
You could find four feet and replicate the Ferguson idea on your Philips - most old wooden cabinet TVs had ones that would do the job, though obviously they aren't as thick on the ground as they once were. I might have some knocking around if you're stuck.
Glyn
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 5:39 pm   #34
Eidolon
Hexode

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer. I'll wait till I get the stand and see if anything comes to light. Are those 'TV feet gaps' too big for any kind of washers? I had an idea about using 3 washers per gap. Big ones above and below the gap, and smaller ones in between to make a better fit?

The local TV repair shop still say they've got some old trolley stands buried in their cellar, but I've not seen them in the year since they first told me. I might see if it turns out they've got anything suitable first, before looking at this one from ebay.
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 7:39 pm   #35
paulsherwin

You could always fit a top and turn it into a table. You just need some wood of the right size, a few woodscrews and some wood stain, wood oil or polish. I did this with a similar stand years ago and it's been used for all sorts of things. Very strong too.
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 11:54 pm   #36
ntscuser
Hexode

Someone did that to a stand I inherited many years ago except he used white melamine covered board. I think the stand originally belonged to an ITT? Been using it as a coffee table for the last fifteen years. It's a shame he didn't use a teak veneer which matches the cross-bar.
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 1:17 am   #37
Eidolon
Hexode

Strangely, I was thinking about doing that earlier. I'd seen a table-conversion online a while ago and it popped back into my head. A TV-trolly-table would be a nice addition to my media library room, which I am endeavouring to make as 80's as possible.
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 1:30 am   #38
julie_m
Dekatron

I had a coffee table for years, inherited from my Nan, that was made by my Grandad out of an old TV stand and a nice slab of hardwood. I think I gave it away to a friend, in which case it probably was subsequently scrapped in a house move.
Old 7th Oct 2014, 11:45 am   #39
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Philips 22CS1002/05T TV

Does anybody happen to know the power consumption for this TV please? Trying to look into energy saving, and it's looking like it'll use more than my other sets, but I'm not sure as I can't find any specific info.

Last edited by AC/HL; 7th Oct 2014 at 4:11 pm. Reason: Thread split
Old 7th Oct 2014, 4:39 pm   #40
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05T TV

Nothing definative but this site shows it as a K30 chassis
http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/wp-...on-1970-81.pdf

and this one shows a K30 chassis has using a 105 watts
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips...s1210_k30.html
Closed Thread