UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2017, 7:05 pm   #21
factory
Octode

Default Re: Replacing an old electrolytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHowells View Post
I've checked the LV power supply outputs with my multimeter. They are not perfectly to spec but well within reasonable "You should work OK with that." values. I'm too scared to go close to the HV power, I don't have any suitable test gear for those voltages. I'm happy to take that area on trust. There is a spot of sorts on the screen so there has to be some HV activity and heater power to the CRT.

Sadly I get neither horizontal nor vertical action from the spot. I might be able to do more with pure dc voltage measurements, but I suspect I'm in that recursive situation where I need a second scope to fault-find on this one.
Sounds like you need to start a thread in the "test equipment" section.

How many years was it since you last used the scope? The switch contacts & pots in HP stuff are usually very dirty/tarnished if they haven't been used for many years.

Are the power supply output voltages within the tolerances listed in the manual? The CRT heater is feed directly from the mains transformer.

Can you move the spot at all? And does the beam finder button change anything, I think I've had problems with dirty contacts on the beam finder before.

David
Closed Thread