UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2017, 7:53 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Telonic 9601 'scope

I saw one of these TINY CRT-based scopes in a second-hand tool shop yesterday and fell in love with it... OK, I don't need another 'scope, but this one is somewhat beautiful.

It is tiny. To give you some idea, the carrying case (not including the pocket to keep probes in) measures about 3.5" wide by 5.5" high by 9" deep. It is smaller than a plug-in unit for my main Tek 500 series (!). It's just single beam, internal timebase only (XY mode would have been nice..) but with external trigger if you want it. The only information I can find about it on the web says it's 5MHz bandwidth, which is more than I expected. It could be useful for checking audio signals, telephone ringing signals, motor drive waveforms, etc.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have taken the cover off and looked inside (as usual). There's horizontal chassis plate. Above it is the CRT with a PCB each side of it. One is the Y amplifer, the other the timebase/X amplfiier. It's mostly discrete transistors, there is one IC (CA3086 I think).

Below the chassis plate is the internal PSU board on one side (under a metal cover) which is yet more transistors, a transformer, and what looks to be a voltage multiplier circuit. The other side is a space for either a 6V battery (no idea if it's lead acid or NiCd) which I don't have or a mains adapter, which I do. The mains adapter is a flat metal box with press stud connections which connects ether to the battery clip in the 'scope (to power the 'scope) or direct to the battery (to charge it), in the latter case the battery operates a switch on the mains adapter to change it into a charger. Inside the adapter is a mains transformer (solder-selected tappings for 100V, 117V and 230V) and a PCB containing a few components and a daughterboard which may well be a battery charger module (I have seen reference to similar things in old portable VCR manuals...).

So far I have 2 problems...

The first is that I can find almost nothing about it on the web. Does anyone here have any manuals for it. I suspect I can work out how to use it, but a circuit diagram would save me a lot of time tracing things out...

The second relates to the power supply. The mains lead to it feeds through the back of the 'scope. But it appears you could remove the back cover (coin slot screw) take out the adapter, fit the battery and put the cover back on. To do that the mains plug has to fit through the small cutout in the cover. I suspect a US mains plug would. A BS1363 one, no chance. So I am looking for a 2 pin connector (doesn't have to be polarised) which is safe for mains use, and where the plug is as small as possible. I can measure up the hole it has to go through. Any suggestions?
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:13 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Telonic 9601 'scope

I've put a few photos of this tiny instrument here :

https://www.***********/photos/tony_d...57681086708563

if anyone is curious.
Closed Thread