UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2017, 2:15 pm   #1
Replicaright
Triode

Default WS No 22

Hi All
For the past 20 or so years I have had a WS No 22 set in the back of my jeep. It has worked perfectly until today. On switching on there is a regular beep beep beep noise over any receptions. The length of the beep is about twice the length of the gap between the beeps. It is not heard when the aerial is disconnected.

Where do I start looking?

Regards, Jon.
Old 20th May 2017, 2:40 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: WS No 22

Could it be possible to be picking from local area or the vehicle itself?

PS What happens if ran off the vehicle with an aerial?
Old 20th May 2017, 2:40 pm   #3

At what frequency?

Old 20th May 2017, 7:53 pm   #4
Replicaright
Triode

The noise is across all frequencies
regards Jon
Old 21st May 2017, 8:23 am   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

If it is only there with the aerial in then it is either local or from the vechile. Try as suggested on a bench with another power supply other than fed from the Jeep.

Then let us know.
Old 21st May 2017, 9:21 am   #6
trh01uk
Octode

Jon,

I've not seen this problem specifically on a WS22, but I have seen it on the C12. And these two sets have very similar RF front-end circuits. In other words, virtually no front-end selectivity at all. In my experience, the C12 can be totally unusable if its in the wrong place at the wrong time - the receiver is easily overwhelmed by a strong local signal - and the problem is so bad that all use of the set is impossible. I've seen the problem with a strong local MW broadcast signal.

It makes no difference what frequency you are tuned to either, because the strong signal is either blocking or cross-modulating - I've not studied the exact mechanism on the bench.

In your case, the regular beep beep sound is a bit different. Presumably not a local broadcast! But as others have said, it might well be something on your jeep. Does it go if you drive say 10 miles away? If you power the set up only - presumably you have separate signals batteries - does it then go away?

Richard
Old 21st May 2017, 10:25 am   #7
Replicaright
Triode

Problem solved - I have also powered up my other 3 WS 22 sets all with the same results. I recently acquired a battery conditioner to keep the jeep battery charged and switching that off has cleared the fault on all of the sets. The jeep is 6 volt and the WS 22 runs from a separate 12 volt battery so the conditioner is separate from the set. The conditioner must be radiating some sort of interference.

Regards, Jon.
Old 21st May 2017, 11:01 am   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Great stuff.
Old 21st May 2017, 4:34 pm   #9
ex seismic
Heptode

Yet another bit of modern electronics radiating hash, either from the mains lead or more likely the battery leads.

Gordon
Old 21st May 2017, 6:04 pm   #10

Yes, the filters needed (and required by UK standards) must increase the cost from 25p to a whopping 35p, shame on the makers.

Closed Thread