UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2017, 8:04 am   #21
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: Acorn valve 954 kits 1960's

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
I think that soldering directly to the pins is a bodge, and looks like a bodge, even if low temperature solder eliminates damage.
Modern aircraft circular connectors use removable pins and 'socket pins', I have some scrounged during my working life. I wonder if they are readily available?
Andy
Years ago I built an acorn valve RX and used a wafer from a redundant multi-wafer rotary switch (with the centre rotary contact disc removed) as the valve holder. ISTR that I moved a couple of the contacts on the wafer to align with the acorn pins. I now have a large box of similar switches, so perhaps I should re-purpose them as acorn holders

Roger/G3VKM
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 9:17 am   #22
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I've been pondering on this, and wonder if a solution might be to modify a genuine holder's clips so that rather than gripping the pins they just sit on a contact pad, maybe with a locating groove. Then mount an annulus of PTFE or other insulating material above to clamp the pins down. The screws used to hold the valveholder in place could be lengthened to also serve as clamping screws.
Andy
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 9:52 am   #23
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

Has this one been suggested before - wirewrap the pins and solder the free ends to bolted or riveted tags surrounding a circular cut-out in a paxolin board . . . ? My TS830S has been working for over 30 years with all the boards connected with wirewraps around pins.
- Peter
G3PIJ
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 10:07 am   #24
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I vaguely recall seeing an Acorn valve socket where the valve was inserted using a 'push-and-twist' action. But I may be wrong.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 10:58 am   #25
G4XWDJim
Octode

Looking at the style of connectors in this Acorn valveholder confirms the idea that considerable pressure evenly placed is necessary to push the pins into the tight fitting clips.

The pins are steel with some sort of plating that doesn't always seem effective at preventing corrosion. Whatever connectors are used they seem to need some 'bite' to maintain a good connection

I've never come across one making a bad connection although the valve itself does have a reputation for losing its vacuum.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acorn.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	141383  
Old 30th Apr 2017, 11:02 am   #26
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The valve does need some pressure to force the pins into the clips, but the clips do make excellent connections. Easiest way to get the valve into the holder is with pressure from thumbnails. For homebrew, apart from the fact that the valve-holders aren't easy to come by, I think it's no more of a risk to the valve make wire soldered connections to the pins. It isn't difficult if a little wire coil is formed around a 0.8mm drill bit shank and small pliers used as a heat sink when the joint is quickly soldered. Another option is to use small screw terminals from terminal strips. Some pics attached.

The acorn valve which has a 1.25V 0.1A heater (rather than the usual 6.3V 0.15A heater of the 954/955 is the 958A triode, which came out in 1944 and was used by the Air Ministry. Remarkable little valves which work up to 350MHz. There used to be lots around - I bought a box of five some years ago. Not quite as versatile as the pentodes, or as plentiful nowadays. I'm not sure if the 1.2V heaters would be happy with a 1.5V cell, but rechargeable cells are I think generally 1.2V.

I have a half-built 3 valve Acorn Receiver project in which the valves are hard wired, which featured in Short Wave Mag many years ago. I made the cabinet, wound the coils for the coil pack, then it stalled. Forum member Peter Sables got on with his yonks ago and built it - mine is still 'work in progress' - on my 'half-done list' rather than my 'do list'. It's a familiar tale!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire termination & valveholder.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	141781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire connection to 954.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	141782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terminal connection.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	141783   Click image for larger version

Name:	958A Triode.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	141784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Box of five RAF 958A Triodes.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	141785  

Old 6th May 2017, 12:46 pm   #27
Glowingtubes
Retired Dormant Member

I have a friend with a radio shop in Japan who's now selling VHF kits with Acorn valves. Will try to get him to send one over for evaluation.
Old 8th May 2017, 11:14 pm   #28
Radio1950
Hexode

For 954/955 connections, we stripped down 7 and 9 pin valve sockets, and used the inserts as push-on connectors.
Old 9th May 2017, 3:11 am   #29
majoconz
Heptode

Memory is quite dim, but I recall my little one-acorn - the acorn was a push-fit into a rubber grommet and all the connections were made by push-on clips. I only had the 49m coil but that was enough in the mid to late 50's. I think I ran the filament from one of those flat 4.5v cycle lamp batteries and a 22.5v hearing aid battery for the HT.