UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2016, 9:09 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Lexor "Dis-Board"

At a car-boot-sale recently I bought - for £1 - a "Lexor Dis-Board". This is a 1970s? metal-cased 4-way 13-amp-outlet strip (the sort of thing you now get as a moulded-plastic thing).
I'm guessing 1970s - it came with a horribly perished red/black/green colour-coded rubber cable as its input and the four 13A sockets are "BICC" brand - the type with the securing screws at 12-O'clock and 6 O'clock, rather than the modern types that have the fixings at 3 and 9 O'clock.

I bought it initially because it had a good-condition 1960s-style MK 13A plug on the input cable; now I'm planning to restore the whole thing. The input cable's clearly toast - my plan is to replace it with a heavy-duty moulded 16A plug/lead - I've got loads of these - C19/C20-to-"Commando"-plug cables as supplied with Cisco 6500-series routers - and I'll need to strip and repaint the metal casing. But it should make an 'interesting' alternative to the cheap plastic distribution-strips we generally use...

A bit about "Lexor Dis-boards" here: http://forum.historiccoventry.co.uk/...ow_cats=&var1=

and also http://www.forum.historiccoventry.co...cats=all&var1=

Seems that "Lexor" were an interesting company!
Old 14th Oct 2016, 9:36 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Lexor "Dis-Board"

My late father used to refer to adhesive insulating tape as 'Lexor tape' Whether it has any connection with that company I don't know.
Old 14th Oct 2016, 10:11 pm   #3
Tom_I
Heptode

I have a couple of Lexor boards in daily use. They are from the 1970s, I think. Good quality items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lexor_1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	131301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lexor_2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	131302  
Old 15th Oct 2016, 10:23 am   #4
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi G6, how about some photos of yours please.
Regards - Mike
Old 15th Oct 2016, 10:13 pm   #5
Tom_I
Heptode

Here's a "full-size" 4-place board for comparison. The non-switched sockets are original, but I retro-fitted a couple of switched ones many years ago. These are the usual pattern with fixings at 3 and 9 o'clock, but the base unit can accept sockets with top-and-bottom fixings as well.

The original sockets are Tenby brand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lexor_3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	131336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lexor_4.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	131337  
Old 15th Oct 2016, 11:08 pm   #6
unabridged
Tetrode

I have also had a few Lexor boards of the plastic moulded flavour. This design was eventually bought out by a manufacturer for RS, and were available with RS branding on until about 10 years or so ago.

If it smells like burning chicken, you're holding the wrong end
Old 16th Oct 2016, 8:36 am   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Interesting label- typed by someone using a capital I instead of lower case l on a machine with no one key.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Oct 2016, 10:55 am   #8
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Lexor "Dis-Board"

Hi,
This thread reminds me of the hours I spent making a four gang dis-board from a length of steel electrical trunking and four very early MK metalclad switched sockets with their steel plates removed, a neon indicator, fuse and switch. I took me age to file the holes to the correct shape and make the sloping sides. This was years before multi socket 'strips' were available to the public. I'd planned to make it a six gang unit, but got fed up with all the filing!
I had it for years and used it a lot, until I lent it to my son for his band, and never saw it again.
Cheers, Pete
Old 17th Oct 2016, 1:22 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Here are some photos of my Dis-Board as dismantled: the one BICC 13A socket I've worked on cleaning-up has come up rather nicely after a toothbrush-and-Ciillit-Bang treatment!

The "mans on" neon [fitted at the end next to the cable-gland] had gone black and its restoration is the subject of a separate thread.

Peeled off the label using a thin knife, after heating it a bit with a hairdryer to soften the adhesive.

The metal case is rather pitted and rusty - my plan is to pickle it in Caustic Soda to shift the paint and rust, then after a quick rubdown give it the etch-primer treatment. Do I finish it with silver-grey Hammerite, or should I do it black-crackle to fit in with the rest of the stuff in my shack?

One thing I note is that - despite being well-made in most respects, the fastenings of the sockets to the metal case are distinctly naff. Small "spire nuts" are used - but the thickness of these would have led to the sockets sitting slightly proud of the case - so the areas round the spire-nuts have been crudely bent inwards to give some clearance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	disboard1.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	131436   Click image for larger version

Name:	disboard2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	131437   Click image for larger version

Name:	disboard3.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	131438   Click image for larger version

Name:	disboard5.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	131439   Click image for larger version

Name:	disboard4.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	131440  

Old 17th Oct 2016, 6:58 pm   #10
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Odd about the nuts - ordinary self- tappers would have been neater, and probably cheaper.
Is there a seperate earth connection to the case, or does it rely on the socket fixings?
FWIW, I think you should re-finish it in Hammerite for authenticity. Crackle black might look a bit too 'professional' for this job.
Old 17th Oct 2016, 7:06 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I have a suspicion that the need for the bending of the case was discovered late on, possibly when a change was made to the supplier of the sockets. The BICC sockets have the bushes where the mounting-screws fit protruding slightly from the rear face of the plastic whereas on most sockets they sit recessed into the rear face by a smidgin so spire-nuts would have worked OK on those sockets without the bending.

The holes in the case are bigger than the screw through-bushes in the sockets, so self-tappers wouldn't have worked. They probably had a load of cases already drilled with large holes when they discovered the new sockets sat proud.

There's no direct connection to the metal case except via the screws. The incoming mains-lead [old rubber one now discarded] was wired direct to the red/black/green interlinking cables between the sockets and connection to the case left to luck, just as was done with metal back-boxes for domestic 13A sockets in the 60s. I may well put a wire in to positively earth the case, mimicing the way the back-boxes for 13A sockets now come with a separate earth-terminal rather than trusting just to the screws.

I think you're right about the colour. Silver-grey Hammerite would be closest to the original colour - though a part of me wondered about the silver-blue Hammerite that was also popular in the 1960s?
Old 1st May 2017, 6:12 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Lexor "Dis-boards".

Resumption of https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=130467

I've finally put it back together: the metal case was 'pickled' in saturated NaOH to remove the old paint, then scrubbed with wire-wool in the rustier places.
I then sprayed it with a "zinc-heavy" primer from Screwfix followed by a couple of coats of Plasti-Kote "Hunter green" satin, this being the nearest I can conveniently get to "NATO Green".

The mains input cable was repurposed from one of the ubiquitous 16-amp-rated ones which come bundled with the Cisco routers I was fitting in telco sites a few years back.
Old 1st May 2017, 6:18 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Lexor "Dis-boards".

Photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2726.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	141947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2723.jpg