UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2017, 2:42 pm   #1
Aristotle
Tetrode

Default Hacker (Chinese) 8 D Cell Holder

As an alternative and just in case repairing the battery holder in the Sovereign 3 on another thread didn't work - - I ordered from China one of the cheap battery holders available on Ebay.

Just to let everyone know it looks OK and fits well even using the two ribbons that help to remove the box when in the radio. It's the one with loose wires so needs connecting - did try it and it works.

Was £2.49 inc P&P and took six days to arrive - - - realise it's just plastic with some springs and wire but - - - blimey £2.49 and to air freight it all that way !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170302_124326.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	138437   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170302_124857.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	138438  
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 4:20 pm   #2

Default Re: Hacker (Chinese) 8 D Cell Holder

There are some very good deals from China, quite a lot (most) are well made too. The quality is getting better all the time. Other eastern nations are doing well at manufacturing, Malaysia, Vietnam (very good at making boots) a far cry from the days of "Jap Crap" now we all aspire to be as good as Japan at making stuff.

Old 2nd Mar 2017, 8:59 pm   #3
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker (Chinese) 8 D Cell Holder

Mine arrived today as well

Very pleased with them. There's only one possible issue: the sides of the battery folder really grip the batteries tight, and stop them moving quite as freely as I'd like - I can see this leading to poor contacts as the negative springs aren't really powerful enough to overcome the friction. However, I'd expect this to improve with time - let's see.

Most importantly, I reckon that adding PP9 snaps to these will be trivial. There's no need to drill out the rivets, as the opening is already big enough for an M3 screw. Looking at the PP9 bits, I think that you'd need M2.5 or perhaps even M2 to prevent interference with the mating snap belonging to the radio, but that's no problem.

So when I get a moment, I'll take the snaps from a dead PP9, and add them to one of these. I'm sure it'll work beautifully.

I paid £2.63 for mine - I woz robbed! I ordered 5, which I think will do all of my collection that need them. All arrived in good condition, despite the lack of protection in the packaging. They feel really robust- hopefully the plastic will be stable over the years.

After all the years of searching, I'm pretty happy with these. Buy them while you can, folks
Closed Thread