UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2017, 6:31 pm   #1
BigClick
Hexode

Default Invicta model A29

I have a table radio; Invicta A29 that has suffered from damp.

The veneer is peeling off everywhere and the joints aren't that rigid either.

If I make good the joints and strip the veneer would the plywood be OK to take new veneer? The front vertical edges have a radius, would this impact the probability of success?

Failing the above, has anyone ever made a replica cabinet for this type of radio before?

Thanks

Ray
Old 31st Jan 2017, 11:30 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Invicta model A29

I had a bush with damp damage that had caused all the plywood layers to open up like pages of a book each side. Once thoroughly dry (a few months in a centrally heated house) I dribbled PVA glue in each layer with a syringe and clamped it with a sash cramp. That was 20 years ago, its still fine. From memory I did each side separately and put a piece of wood over, covered with polythene so it wouldnt glue itself to the part in question.
Several scratches and splinters of missing veneer were coloured-in with stain, and bit of new veneer had to be let in the corner from bits I found in the shed, no marks for spotting where it went, but I'm no cabinet maker!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bush.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	136784  
Old 1st Feb 2017, 9:15 am   #3
BigClick
Hexode

Default Re: Invicta model A29

That's a good looking repair.
Closed Thread