UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2016, 11:51 am   #1
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default NiMh batteries in Lidl

These have previously been mentioned as good so today 20 Dec 16 I bought some of their AAA batteries 8 for £4.99. Also have AA at same price. Only available until stock runs out as usual.
No connection, just passing on info.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 5:52 pm   #2
Ken
Hexode

Default Re: NiMh batteries in Lidl

I bought some of the AAs yesterday again for £4.99. There were still plenty left of both types. They seem to have a Christmasy plastic coat.

Ken.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 5:56 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I also bought a set today. They have reasonable capacity (though nothing special) and low self discharge. They seem good value, though the cell colouring does make them look tacky.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 6:20 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It's always worth looking at the capacity such cells claim: I've seen plenty that are cheap but are rather questionable in terms of milliamp-hour rating.

Of course not everything *needs* maximum capacity so there can be situations where cheaper but lower capacity are a good option. Horses for courses.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 6:24 pm   #5
paulsherwin

These claim 2300mA, which is pretty average though far from class leading. The Poundland ones are 800mA, which is very feeble but OK for the price if you understand what you're buying and don't need the capacity.
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 11:20 am   #6
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
These have previously been mentioned as good
Yes I started this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=121819 in December last year and I've had no problems with the ones I bought then though they haven't been subjected to particularly intensive use.

Alvin
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 11:50 pm   #7
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I've bought several rechargeable NiMH cells from Lidl over the years and have been generally very pleased with them.

I did however have a problem with a batch purchased a few years ago. These appeared to be short circuit possibly due to tin dendrites though I can't be sure. To be fair, these were inadvertently neglected and thus not correctly charged as they should have been so that's probably the reason for failure. I did try to "blast" the s/c cells with a large value charged electrolytic capacitor without success so had to reluctantly concede and disposed of these "new" cells at the recycling centre.

Regards
Symon.
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 11:51 pm   #8
MrBungle
Dekatron

I may just stick to the Eneloops....
Old 24th Dec 2016, 2:01 am   #9
paulsherwin

Weren't Eneloops the first low self discharge NiMHs?

This image from Wikipedia looks remarkably like the Lidl batteries in terms of physical appearance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E...pack_front.jpg Presumably the similarity is just a coincidence.
Old 24th Dec 2016, 11:38 am   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yes they were. Also persistently the most reliable batteries I think I've ever had. I've had the oldest set about 6 years in monthly charge and discharge cycles in an HP 50G calculator and I can't see any capacity reduction yet.

Assume Lidl are trying to make their products look quality.
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:27 am   #11
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

This site may be useful if looking for comparisons. http://www.batteryshowdown.com/
They do not appeaqr to have any bias, or commercial interest in any particular maker.
The testing is reasonably scientific.
Unexpectedly Ikea batteries seem way out in front, at least on cost per watt-hour ! Tony
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 9:21 pm   #12
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Yes they were. Also persistently the most reliable batteries I think I've ever had.
I had an Eneloop go O/C for no apparent reason. It was only a couple of years old too. But I guess this could happen to any make of cell.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 10:02 am   #13
kellys_eye
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
Unexpectedly Ikea batteries seem way out in front, at least on cost per watt-hour ! Tony
This would match my experience of them and my 'unconscious' purchase of dozens of them every time visit there (which isn't that often hence the large quantities).

I say 'unconscious' as you get a very distinct impression of battery efficiency during use and my previous 'favourite' was Duracell but the Ikea batteries seem to surpass even those - and with the low price benefit you can't go wrong.

The need to constantly (or so it seems) recharge batteries even when they aren't used is off-putting to me.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 10:15 am   #14
richrussell
Heptode

I've found IKEA and Amazon's own brand NIMH AAs to be very good at having a low self discharge rate and appearing to hold close to the capacity they're rated at. Both a lot cheaper than Eneloop branded ones too.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 11:36 am   #15
paulsherwin

The low self discharge technology seems to have become pretty universal now. You can use them like alkalines in occasional use devices, just giving them a top up charge every year or so.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 5:59 pm   #16
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

They also seem to survive well when exposed to wide temperature-changes; I've got a set of these in the 'outdoor' part of my weather-station and the current set have gone for six months without signalling 'low battery' back to the indoor-box - that's as good as any alkaline AA's. They're currently "basking" in a balmy -3.7 Centigrade environment.
Closed Thread