UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2009, 9:17 am   #21
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Dial Glass Reconstruction

What dedication and patience. A briiliant result and another nice old radio saved. Truly inspirational work. Col.
Old 26th Jan 2011, 9:10 pm   #22
dennishoy
Retired Dormant Member

If AWC has kept this scan and is happy to share it, then an archive could be set up to keep these files for future use by others who need similar dials.

Also, I found material which can be put through an inkjet printer (NOT laser) to create a design on it and even with no adhesive, it sticks to glass or perspex.
The sheets are A4 in size and can purchased as white or transparent, so will suit both white and clear backgrounds as required.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a suppliers' link, so best to do a 'Google' search for 'Decadry Window Film'.

Last edited by dennishoy; 26th Jan 2011 at 9:26 pm.
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 1:09 pm   #23
Jakeblobs
Retired Dormant Member

I am in the middle of a similar exercise with a Kolster Brande tuning scale. I don't know what the font style is and it seems smaller than my printer can manage. well done, you have done a grand job.
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 8:03 pm   #24
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Here it is.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC-SW4-Scale-Final-copy.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	60649  
Old 5th Jan 2012, 10:06 am   #25
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Outstanding work.
Regards Kev.
Old 5th Jan 2012, 12:31 pm   #26
DragonForce
Retired Dormant Member

Maybe slightly off topic, but you can do the same kind of thing with non populated printed circuit boards, print onto clear film and photo-etch a new PCB.

Fantastic work there, must have taken you months!
Old 31st Aug 2012, 3:31 pm   #27
jimpezz61
Retired Dormant Member

Well done, great job.
Jim.
Old 27th Aug 2013, 12:32 am   #28
SwanseaSteve
Retired Dormant Member

I've got a Grundig 3365 with a smashed tuning glass, and so I read this article in search of inspiration (which I found in spades) and maybe some pointers for how-to's and techniques. Got quite a few of those too!

Many thanks "awc".

Just a tiny problem, and I don't know if I should mention it, but I suppose I must. No-one else has commented, so either they didn't notice or there's an unspoken rule on here that I'm just about to break.....

I've spotted a bug

In the bottom right of the glass, there's a summary of the band-limits. You've got shortwave down as 6 - 10 MHz. Yet, quite obviously it's way wider than that. I reckon it should say 6 - 19 MHz. The zero that you've used to construct the "10" had most of its lower part obliterated in the scan of the original glass, and it surely must really be a "9"?

Sorry, "awb". It's a beauty of a job you've done here. If my re-glazing of my Grundig comes out anything like as good as yours has, I'll post it.
Old 27th Aug 2013, 9:22 am   #29
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanseaSteve View Post
should say 6 - 19 MHz..
This is easily corrected with MS Paint.

If 10 people look at a picture, one of them with see something the other 9 haven't!

Regards
Pete
Closed Thread