UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2017, 5:20 pm   #21
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Playing modern records on an old record deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan SP15 View Post
One other thought, I have been working on a Decca record player with a Deram cartridge, in the warm workshop it would play anything, next day having been left overnight, in the cold, it jumped everywhere. Taking the headshell/cart in the warm for a while and it is fine again. Compliance issue.
I had the very same problem with a Decca RP - the one with the Deccadec and the Deram cart - I tried different Derams and styli - all to no avail. I didn't think the temperature had anything to do with it but, having read this, I shall turn the hairdryer on it! Watch out for so-called 'new' Deram styli, by the way. They seem to have been made from a variety of plastic which is about as compliant as re-inforced concrete!
Old 18th Jan 2017, 6:30 pm   #22
Hartley118
Nonode

I well recall the temperature sensitivity of the Decca Deram cartridge. I'm pretty sure that it was designed to live permanently around 20C in a comfortable living room. Way back, when the Deram was the latest pickup innovation, my audio 'den' was a substantial ex-army hut at the bottom of my parents' garden which dropped at night quickly to outdoor temperature. When in there, I used a fan heater which pretty rapidly raised the air to a comfortable working temperature. However, I think it took more than a day for the Deram to reach the same temperature as the warmed air and it never seemed to track properly in winter.

I also agree with Paul's post #16. Back in the day, disc cutting desks, and many music studio desks too, were fitted with phasemeters to warn the engineer of 'useless' out of phase low frequency signals. They're useless because they generally cancel out in the listening room but they inevitably cause tracking challenges because most stereo cartridges exhibit less vertical compliance than horizontal so high vertical groove amplitudes can tend to throw the pickup out of the groove.

CDs of course have no such limitation - in fact extended LF content is one of the lauded benefits of the CD. It must be very tempting for an inexperienced cutting engineer today to use the unmodified audio from a master tape intended for CD (or even use the CD itself) without applying the disciplines of the cutting craft.

Martin
Old 19th Jan 2017, 12:57 am   #23
RojDW48
Nonode

I have a soft spot for the old Deram - back in the 60s I was distinctly scornful of my old friend's assertion that a better tonearm would produce a significant increment in sound quality. I already had the cartridge - in an old Goldring, spring balance, cast alloy tonearm. He actually went out and bought me the Deram tonearm for my birthday (!) I could barely believe the difference it made.