UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2017, 3:02 pm   #1
walters21
Retired Dormant Member

Default 1994 Arcam Alpha 5 CD player - CD tray gear wheel repair

I have a Arcam Alpha 5 CD player, purchased new in 1994. It worked perfectly until the the CD tray began to judder in operation and would not open or close by itself.

Thanks to reading a post on this Forum about how to repair a similar machine, I managed to fix the problem - worn out teeth on the CD tray gear.

Tools needed - a couple of Philips screwdrivers and a Torx Tip size 10 screwdriver - and a replacement gear - CDM-9 CD Drawer Gear Wheel Quad 67 CDM9 Tray Gear and Belt Philips CD-930 CD-931 found on Ebay.

There may be another way of doing this, but after removing the top casing I had to lift out the complete circuit board assembly. I used instructions from this manual found on the web: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/78...?page=8#manual
If this link doesn’t work just search for ‘Arcam Alpha 5 CD player manual’ - you will find one or two options.

I followed the ‘Disassembly for Servicing’ instructions - this allowed access to the underside of the CD unit and the two screws of the tray gear wheel holding plate - this is where the Torx 10 screwdriver is needed.

I am a novice and have never done this sort of thing before, so as I removed each screw, I carefully positioned it on a sheet of paper and identified each one with a little note.

In my case the gear teeth had been completely worn away. I replaced the gear with the new one and used the original rubber belt which was in good condition.

I then reassembled the complete unit.

The machine now works again perfectly - very pleased - hopefully for a few more years.
Old 20th Jan 2017, 12:32 am   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: 1994 Arcam Alpha 5 CD player - CD tray gear wheel repair

Well done! Repairing something is much more satisfying than buying a new one. You clearly have the confidence to tackle a relatively tricky repair, but sensibly you did your homework first. Keep up the good work!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread