UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2017, 4:38 pm   #1
yesnaby
Octode

Default Fridge/freezer dead?

Came home after 2 weeks away to find Hotpoint fridge/freezer not working. It seems to have tripped a circuit breaker when I was away, but it doesn't do it now. Interior light not working, checked input cable, fuse and plug/socket, still dead. What gives?

Michael
Old 14th Jan 2017, 4:58 pm   #2
electronwilly
Hexode

Location: Westerhope, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, UK.
Default Re: Fridge/freezer dead?

Hi Michael there is usually a reset switch at the bottom back usually in a white plastic box where the electronics are contained. Cheers Billy. Hope your model is the the same.
Old 14th Jan 2017, 5:31 pm   #3
Kala_12
Hexode

Hi Michael,
I have had the circuit breaker in the Consumer Unit knocked out by a light bulb blowing at least three times over the last year or so. I understand it's something to do with there being an arc as the filament breaks. Others may be able to confirm this.
Stuart.
Old 14th Jan 2017, 5:34 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Is the compressor running?
Old 14th Jan 2017, 5:51 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Stick a meter on the supply and see if it's drawing any current. A small current drain is to be expected even if the thing is totally deceased, due to the suppressor capacitors across the mains input.
Old 14th Jan 2017, 6:18 pm   #6
yesnaby
Octode

Compressor not running and no cooling taking place. Will get meter out!
Old 14th Jan 2017, 6:57 pm   #7
Goldie99
Heptode

Don't forget to check the thermostat.... I managed to (unknowingly) break the thin metal thermostat tube in a freezer last year, just by closing a drawer somewhat too enthusiastically.... with the obvious consequences.
Old 14th Jan 2017, 9:37 pm   #8
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I'm not sure but on some fridge/freezers the bulb wiring is associated with the thermostat so this might explain why the lamp is also not working. It should be possible to bypass the thermostat to see if the compressor is going to start. I have in the past had a problem with the start relay which plugs into the compressor. I'd first check the thermostat though.

Symon.
Old 14th Jan 2017, 10:27 pm   #9
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

You don't say where the appliance is located, but a few years ago we had our fridge/freezer in the garage, attached to the house but unheated. It packed up after a long period of cold weather and of course I did all the usual things and all appeared to be in order.

Indeed, it was working, but it was so cold that it entered the de-frost cycle and the thermostat was evidently fooled into thinking that the fridge was cold enough and therefore it didn't need to drop the temperature any further.

We moved it to the utility room which is much warmer and it has been running perfectly ever since.

This is a drawback of basic fridge/freezers with one compressor and a temperature control which is primarily for the fridge.
Old 14th Jan 2017, 11:09 pm   #10
yesnaby
Octode

It's in the utility room which I imagine got pretty cold over the last two weeks. Not sure why it tripped the circuit breaker though. The AC current drawn is 20.5 milliamps and the DC resistance across the mains lead is 15 k ohms.
Old 14th Jan 2017, 11:15 pm   #11
Refugee
Dekatron

You can buy a special twin motor fridge/freezer for use in out buildings.
It may end up being cheaper to buy separate appliances for the two functions.
Old 14th Jan 2017, 11:34 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Basic combined fridge freezers rely on the room temperature being high enough for the fridge thermostat to cut in the compressor for long enough that the freezer temperature is maintained somewhere below the highest safe temperature. The overall balance of fridge cooling vs freezer cooling only works properly if the room temperature is within spec limits.

If room temperature drops below normal fridge temp of about 5 degrees, the fridge is cold enough that the thermostat never operates and the freezer warms up. It's cheap'n'cheerful but it (mostly) works fine indoors.

A dual compressor / dual thermostat unit doesn't suffer from this problem, though if it's really cold, the contents of the fridge could freeze!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Jan 2017, 11:42 pm   #13
Refugee
Dekatron

Surely if it got that cold the contents of all fridge compartments would freeze solid?
Old 14th Jan 2017, 11:49 pm   #14
trsomian
Hexode

We have a single compressor fridge freezer in an unheated room, with the problem described here, so I built a controller, that if it detects that the compressor hasn't run for several hours it puts a small heater on in the fridge until it does run. Works a treat
Old 14th Jan 2017, 11:56 pm   #15
Herald1360
Dekatron

Sounds like a pragmatic workround there. Not brilliant for the overall efficiency of the system, but likely a lot cheaper than a custom unit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
Surely if it got that cold the contents of all fridge compartments would freeze solid?
Yes, they would. Of course if a freezer itself was somewhere colder than about -25 or so, the contents would be colder than normal too, though that wouldn't be a particular problem!

When my old fridge freezer developed a fault that caused the compressor to run continuously, things in the fridge froze and the freezer got down to about -40.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Jan 2017, 12:59 am   #16
The Philpott
Dekatron

I am not a fan of fridge freezers with a shared compressor; one section generally appears to be either too hot or too cold, especially as the system gets older. Fridges with wee little ice compartments don't seem to be as prone to this; mine has manual flaps to allow more cold air to drop into the fridge bit as required- simplest systems being the most effective of course.

There is a 2 letter code which indicates the ambient temp. operating range of the refrigerant, (mine is SN i think) but broadly speaking below 9C or over 38C you can be in difficulties.
Old 15th Jan 2017, 7:36 am   #17
yesnaby
Octode

Yes a twin compressor one would be nice but I don't think I can justify the cost. Also, a lot of fridge freezers are too high for me, 180 cm is just too much!
Old 15th Jan 2017, 8:22 am   #18
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Problems arose when they took out the fluoro-carbons. Still seems odd to me that we now have a highly inflammable gas in an electrical appliance.
Old 15th Jan 2017, 10:03 am   #19
yesnaby
Octode

I've done some dismantling. The light bulb is intact. There is no reset switch anywhere. The thermostat is not an electrical type, it is mechanical. A bulb connects via a short capillary tube to an actuator, which moves a blanking plate towards and away from an aperture in the back wall of the fridge compartment. So there is no way of (electrically) bridging it. Fiddling about with the position of the blanking plate has no effect, the compressor does not start. Time to be scrapped I think.
Old 15th Jan 2017, 10:24 am   #20
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

There must surely be a an electrical thermostat of some sort in addition to the mechanical arrangement.
Have you tried powering the compressor directly - L & N to the 'run' terminals, and a brief L connection to the start terminal to get it going? If it then runs, work backwards to the start relay (they quite commonly fail) and its feed.
Closed Thread