UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2017, 3:01 pm   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default S-VHS vs VHS - which do you use?

Just wondering which you use the most (if you use a VCR that is). I did go through an S-VHS phase but lending tapes to colleagues is a no-go as nobody seems to have an S-VHS capable machine and I like my recordings to be universal. I really appreciated the improved resolution though and it shone on modern HD material. So as a compromise I use plain VHS, but use premium tapes like late 1980's TDK Hi-Fi or mid 1980's Maxell. This gives a picture as good as I can get with the format, and for recordings I want to keep in my 'tape library' I record on my HD660 which has the Amorphous heads - again makes a difference - or the HS960 which has the digital comb filter on composite in as well as amorphous heads which prevents the 'crawl' on colour boundaries.

I really want my tapes to be as good as possible and streaks and drop-outs really get on my nerves, so I take a bit more care than I used. Good recordings are really smooth with no grain visible on a 25" CRT.

So what is your setup and what tapes do you like?
Old 9th Jan 2017, 3:39 pm   #2
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: S-VHS vs VHS - which do you use?

I only have a couple of svhs tapes which I've used to put a couple of my favourite films onto from dvd. I have 3 working svhs machines, jvc hr-s4700 Panasonic nv-fs90 and nv-fs100.

Although all 3 are fully serviced, the panasonics win hands down on picture quality and sound clarity. Because I used an image stabiliser during transfer, the edges are clean and crisp and the whites are very good.

Have also found the Panasonic machines to be the best for standard vhs recordings, some of which came out better than purchased pre recorded films. I display all my films on a 40in LCD 100hz Samsung. Good for finding any imperfections.

I have various brands of tapes, tdk, jvc, maxell (not impressed with) and fujifilm pro svhs tapes.

Want a fs200 to record with for comparison. The newer machines from jvc and the nv-hs machines don't really float my boat.

Old 9th Jan 2017, 4:21 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

With S-VHS not having nearly the takeup as standard VHS on a mass level, it makes little sense to risk using it as a main format when there is likely to be scarcity of machines and parts in the not too distant future (think the leaking caps on that Panny PCB...). With VHS you're a lot safer as far more machines available. Just my tuppence worth.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 11:10 pm   #4
Rennie93
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauxfan2k View Post
I only have a couple of svhs tapes which I've used to put a couple of my favourite films onto from dvd. I have 3 working svhs machines, jvc hr-s4700 Panasonic nv-fs90 and nv-fs100
I have an FS100 and FS200. Personally I prefer the FS100 as the image is more "vhs looking" and authentic. The TBC on the 200 tends to make things too "film-like" in my view, especially after noise reduction/post processing. It is useful though for very old tapes or those that cause the FS100 some scan problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
there is likely to be scarcity of machines and parts in the not too distant future (think the leaking caps on that Panny PCB...)
In Germany we are quite lucky in that there are still a few companies repairing the machines (replacing bad caps etc). Refurbished machines on Ebay are costing upwards of 250 euros though! Soon enough those engineers with retire though :-(

R

Last edited by Rennie93; 9th Jan 2017 at 11:16 pm.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 11:14 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I do have three SVHS recorders that I used to use for home movie video editing, but only one works now. The only time I could notice any difference in resolution between VHS, SVHS, and live broadcast was when I borrowed a video projector from work and tried viewing video on my 4' wide slide/cine projector screen, equivalent to a 60" diagonal display when erected for 4:3 aspect ratio. I was hard pressed to see any difference on our 24" Ferguson at normal viewing distances. I recall an editorial in "Wireless World" in the early 1990's about "Who needs HDTV?" noting that the vast majority of contemporary domestic TV sets were only capable of resolving about 50% of the detail in an analogue PAL broadcast, and presuming this was probably why consumers were happy with the resolution provided by VHS. Only JVC offered models having screens of higher resolution, and they were never actively promoted.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 11:38 pm   #6
michamoo
Hexode

I am one of those easily pleased types. If its a steady picture in colour thats good enough for me so quite happy with Vanilla VHS really