UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2017, 3:18 pm   #1
starone
Triode

Default Pioneer CT-F 850 Cassette Deck Problem

Hello

Was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice with what's wrong with the above deck. Picked it up last week at the car boot for a fiver and really like the look of it. It all lights up and works to a degree, but after approx 2 seconds of either playback/fast forward/rewind the transport shuts itself off. If you hold your finger on any of the above buttons it continues to work but keeps clicking as if trying to shut off. I think the belts will need replacing at some point but I don't want to start dismantling it without having an idea of what's wrong, as it looks pretty complicated to say the least!

Martin
Old 8th Jan 2017, 4:25 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Pioneer CT-F 850 Cassette Deck Problem

It is very likely to need a new main capstan belt and possibly other belts. The first thing to do is to take the cover off and watch what the mechanism is doing when you try to play a tape.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 5:11 pm   #3
Tom_I
Heptode

It sounds like what's happening is that the auto stop mechanism is being triggered continuously. The sensor for this is a photo interrupter driven by a small belt from the take-up spool. It may just be that this belt has broken.

You can download a service manual for this cassette deck from Hifi Engine (click this link). You will need to register with the site first, if you haven't already.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 5:13 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

It's possible that the sensor which determines whether or not the tape is moving is driven by a belt which has stretched. This would cause the control logic to think the tape had pulled taut at the end of the side.

Pictures?
Old 9th Jan 2017, 12:05 am   #5
starone
Triode

Thanks for that. I've just registered with hi fi engine and will download the instructions as suggested. I'll also get a few photos of it when I get the chance. The only other problem with this that I can see is the power cord has been cut to within an inch of the backplate. Can't believe someone has cut the cable and thrown this in the tip - I got it from one of the regular tip dealers at the local car boot. I suppose I'm lucky it's not damaged and missing bits like most of the stuff they sell.

Cheers
Martin
Old 9th Jan 2017, 1:54 am   #6
John123
Heptode

Often the sensor is on the tape counter, so if the belt to the counter has perished the mechanism will switch off.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 12:35 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Change the counter belt/motion sense belt as suggested.
However, the spool motor in these decks suffers from dead spots. check the spooling in playback carefully.
Old 8th Feb 2017, 12:12 am   #8
starone
Triode

Just an update on this: it was indeed the belt from the take up spool to the pulley that drives the tape counter that had perished. It drives another pulley that is mounted to a sensor for the auto stop. I confirmed this by temporarily hooking the large flat belt up over this pulley causing it to turn. The good news is it sounds really good and all the other functions seem to work. I've also fitted another power cable to replace the one that had been cut. The bad news however is that at 25 pounds for the belt kit it's probably going to have to wait a little while. I'd like this in my future set up, but for now I've boxed it up and put it in storage until I can justify the outlay. Thanks to everyone who helped me find the problem.

Martin
Old 8th Feb 2017, 12:24 am   #9
camtechman
Nonode

Yep, It's a known problem as you can read here:

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=21183