UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:22 pm   #1
els1967
Pentode

Default GPO Bellset 44

I recently purchased via Ebay a Bellset 44 complete with the phone and have been slowly restoring/experimenting with it. I'm pretty happy that I've got it all working the way that it should but there is just one thing I don't quite get. The N diagram N4308 shows a battery connected between BT10 and BT11 which powers the phones when talking from the bellset phone and the extn. with the phone line disconnected. So I've got this working with a couple of batts. and an unconverted GPO 330 and it certainly works but it's so quiet you have to talk with a reasonable volume to make yourself heard. If I call the extn. phone from "outside" it's as clear as a bell. The documentation suggest two 1.5v batteries would suffice and this is what I have connected but would it really have been this quiet back in the day?
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:32 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: GPO Bellset 44

I was surprised it's just 2 or 3 cells that are needed but the N-diagram confirms it. The later Planset (see diagram N625) using 700 series telephones used 10-12V.

Have you checked the battery voltage on-load just in case the internal resistance of the battery is causing an excessive voltage drop? What cells are you using (FWIW a Planset will run happily off 8 alkaline D cells). Have you tried 3 cells to see if it helps?

Is it quiet speaking from main to extension and from extension to main? If it's only quiet in one direction that would suggest a problem with a particular transmitter and receiver. If both ways that possibly switching-related?

I assume the transmitters in the telephones are still the original carbon microphones and that somebody hasn't fitted the innards of a Transmitter 21A (the electronic one).
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 11:22 pm   #3
els1967
Pentode

Hi Tony, thanks for the quick reply. I'll take a look at the battery voltage on line when I next get a chance, that's a good idea. I'm using a couple of cheapo D cells. I'll try adding another cell, dunno why I didn't think of that Doh!

It's quite in both directions so I don't think it's switching related. All the kit is original.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 10:53 pm   #4
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Have you replaced the carbon transmitters in the phones with electronic ones - if so these need more voltage to operate.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 10:55 am   #5
els1967
Pentode

Hi John, it's all the original kit.

By way of an update, I bought a battery holder box from Maplins and fitted 4 1.5v C batteries and now all seems to be better than it was, although still a bit quieter than a regular phone line. But that will do me.

Would still be interested to know if that was generally accepted as OK quality back in the day...
Old 5th Jan 2017, 11:04 am   #6
els1967
Pentode

Just one other thing. On the N Diagram page 4

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...4000/N4310.pdf

it shows a 232 connected to the bellset. I've never seen a 232 with a plunger key so I was wondering what the mystery "Press button G" comment between the two phones refers to. I presume it was a plunger used to activate the buzzer in the bellset from the extn. but what sort is it? Did it fit onto the connector block some how?
Old 5th Jan 2017, 12:55 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

As I understand diagram N4310, the internal extension telephone was either a Telephone 328 (desk) or Telephone 321 (wall mounting). These telephones had holes for buttons ('keys'). And yes, the button did sound the buzzer in the bellset.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 1:01 pm   #8
els1967
Pentode

Hi Tony, that was my understanding too but the diagram shows a 323 with bell set 26 on page 4, so it's all a bit odd.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 1:10 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think 'Press Button G' is something like a bell push. It was mounted separately if you wanted to use said telephone. I can't find much about it though.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 6:16 pm   #10
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I think 'Press Button G' is something like a bell push. It was mounted separately if you wanted to use said telephone. I can't find much about it though.
A 'Press Button G' was a round dark brown Bakelite surface mounted push button with a round white button in the middle - very like an old fashioned bell push. Just like the one on eBay in item number 371817091073

They had a single make contact.

Ian J
CNet 0352 2345
Closed Thread