UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2016, 10:02 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Tele746/ internal bell set (26 ?)

Spotted a cry for help on another forum by a bloke with a 746 in his home (it's his wife's -so how did he convert her ), but phone has an O/C (dis to telecomms blokes) bell coil. I've suggested he pop in here to see if anyone can help. But in the meantime, I've had a look at an old extension bell (type designed for use in domestic premises, so 26 springs to mind, snap on plastic cover), but with 2k coils, which look as if coils are removable mechanically. Long time since I've played with 746, so will a coil from one of these fit his 746, as apart from someone on here, I'd suggest a look for one of these bell sets at a car boot.
Old 29th Dec 2016, 11:53 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: tele746/ internal bell set (26 ?)

What is needed is a 'Bell 59C - unmounted' in GPO/PO/BT terminology if it is an unmodified Tele 746 with two 500 ohm coils. The version with two 2000 ohm coils is a 'Bell 59D - unmounted' . The 'Bell 59A - unmounted' was the version fitted in the Tele 706/710 with wiring whereas the 'Bell 59B - in mounted' was the version in the Tele706/710/711 with a PCB circuit. The 'Bell 59' was a 'Bell 59A-unmounted' fitted in the similar case to a Bellset 26/31/37Same unit - a Bell 59A -unmounted was used in the 3XX series of telephones . So it is either ensure you fit a coil of the same type for the Bell fitted (which needs to be established) or change the complete bell mechanism.
Old 30th Dec 2016, 4:27 pm   #3
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: tele746/ internal bell set (26 ?)

He reckons it's a 2x2k coil bell in a 746, but I've had a look at one of the internal bell sets ( rectangular plastic case with two 2k coils, and from memory ( of lots of years ago ) it looks similar. Possibly the striker is longer, but could be interchanged fro mthe 746.
I've also suggested that if he's that interested in old telephones ( Never call it a tele) ,he come on here and get advice first hand .
Old 16th Jan 2017, 9:39 pm   #4
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Tele746/ internal bell set (26 ?)

Out of interest I had another look inside the bell set 50 and lo & behold written on the bell unit is 59D( 2000 coils)- so it is possible that the bell would fit a 746.
Closed Thread