UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2016, 11:20 pm   #1
Mont33yy
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Goblin 834B

Hello, I'm new to this excellent forum but wonder if someone can advise. I wish to disconnect the very loud buzzer in my Goblin Teasmade 834B. Even though I've taken the bottom off I cannot see anything that looks like the small 1cm square black box that is the buzzer on other Goblin models. Does anyone know where it's hiding?
Old 28th Dec 2016, 3:04 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Goblin 834B

If it's a mains-powered buzzer, it will look like a coil of wire, probably about 3 cm. diameter and about the same length.

The wire you disconnect will become LIVE whenever the buzzer should be sounding, so be sure to insulate it well to prevent it from touching anything it shouldn't.

Some of these mains buzzers are fitted with a simple volume sdjustment screw, so you might be able to tame it that way.
Old 29th Dec 2016, 4:07 am   #3
Mont33yy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks very much, I see it.
Old 29th Dec 2016, 9:03 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

If there is a screw that seems as though it would limit the travel of the moving parts, you can try adjusting this. (The Goblin sounder works a bit like a simple trembler, but there is no interruptor contact; it is relying on the reversals of the supply to create periods of no magnetic attraction, rather than creating its own.)

Remember the whole lot becomes electrically LIVE in operation, so only do any type of adjustment while the Teasmade is unplugged from the wall.

By the way, I modified my own Teasmade by adding a "figure 8" mains lead wired in parallel across the lamp and brought out through a convenient ventilation slot -- this turns it into a clock-radio with kettle