UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2017, 10:35 pm   #21
ManxDave
Tetrode

Default Re: AVO 7 sluggish

If I stumble across a cheap set on non magnetic tools I may buy them but I am hoping not to have to go near a meter movement again. More fun and easier swapping dead capacitors and bringing life to old radios. Thanks again to all.
Old 6th Jan 2017, 11:04 pm   #22
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Restoring life to dead and sticking Avometers can be just as rewarding!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 6th Jan 2017, 11:14 pm   #23
ManxDave
Tetrode

I love it now it is fully working, a great companion to the DMM and Chinese component tester but The movement is too delicate for me to enjoy working on. I haven't ventured near SMDs either!
Old 7th Jan 2017, 3:08 pm   #24
The Philpott
Dekatron

Spare blades included! Hmm! I have also seen ceramic ones advertised. I keep hoping to find old bronze tools (bomb disposal surplus!?) as i am not confident of even 'high tensile' aluminium being particularly tough.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 1:56 pm   #25
pmmunro
Octode

For the cheese head screws which hold Avometer movements on their front panels, a serviceable non-magnetic screwdriver can be made from the brass rod salvaged from a cistern ball valve. The tip end can be hollow ground and the valve end modified to leave a wing to be pressed into a file handle.

For smaller screwdrivers, the larger sizes of brazing rods are suitable.

With the increasing use of stainless steel, many grades of which are non-magnetic, there are probably common parts from which suitable rods can be salvaged.

PMM
Old 8th Jan 2017, 2:03 pm   #26
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
For the cheese head screws which hold Avometer movements on their front panels, a serviceable non-magnetic screwdriver can be made from the brass rod...
The trick I use, which I think originated from you Peter, is to wrap a tight-fitting sleeve of thin cardboard around a standard screwdriver blade to prevent its being attracted to the magnet. Works perfectly for me! Getting the screws back into the holes is tricky, but I use a pair of curved stainless steel artery forceps to hold the screw in position from the side whilst tightening it with the cardboard-sleeved screwdriver.

It takes longer to read about it than to do it!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread