UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2017, 1:30 pm   #81
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

Default Re: What was the highest HT voltage you ever experienced?

75KV on the tube of a Philips X Ray machine, not sure of the current perhaps 100mA, I did not get across it otherwise I possibly would not be typing this.
Victor.
Old 7th Jan 2017, 5:17 pm   #82
broadgage
Nonode

I once received an unpleasant shock at very high but unknown voltage, but at a minute current.

It was from the metallic roof of a timber framed shed erected close to a 400KV overhead line. The clearance was considered safe as regards no chance of a flashover, but capacitive coupling produced an unpleasant shock.
A fluorescent lamp connected between the roof and an earth rod glowed dimly, but enough to find things in the shed after dark without a torch.
Old 7th Jan 2017, 7:34 pm   #83
gingpeakin
Hexode

Does anyone remember the public service film 'SIDE'. Switch off, isolate, dump, earth. One of those they put on BBC 2 during the day when it started up. I'm sure it's been mentioned on this forum before. My highest voltage was with a PYE colour monitor - the one from the 70s that was used int the BBC type 2 scanners. The one with the PD 500 EHT shunt regulator. The tripler was so good that if you took the regulator out you could get around 40 kV on the final anode. It resulted in a very small but bright picture with a disturbing creaking sound from the CRT. It's no wonder I don't have children.
Closed Thread