UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2016, 1:41 pm   #1
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Hacker Sovereign 2 Motorboating

Well, after quite a lot of work on it, I got a Hacker Sovereign 2 (S/N: 21349) back together again, put some batteries in and switched on.

VHF working perfectly, nothing on LW and motor boating/howling on MW.

Listening with another receiver, no LO on LW and you can hear it sort of starting and stopping on MW.

Read a few threads on here and it turns out to be C21 on the 470kHz IF amplifier. At 12V working the original doesn't really seem to be up to it so no wonder it fails. Seems to be a common problem on these sets.

The one that came out is a DALY 350uF 12V and the one that's gone in is a Dubilier 330uF 50V.

Hope someone finds that useful. Change it anyway I would say!

John
Old 7th Dec 2016, 8:00 pm   #2
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 2 Motorboating

That sounds very familiar

The voltage rating isn't so much the problem, but those blue DALY (and red Elkomold) types definitely are "change on sight", no matter where you find them. They leak heavily and really upset the DC conditions in the RP18/30/31/etc audio amps. Fortunately, by the time of the Sovereign II, those types were fairly rare (and almost always only found on the AM board if anywhere). In the Sovereign I, however, it's another story...

The blue Philips types are usually fine, and the miscellaneous Japanese caps found in those sets seem to be pretty good as well.

Getting at that capacitor can be a little bit awkward, but as it's not terribly visible, I'm less fussy about what type of replacement I use (usually a modern radial type).

Well done on the fix

Mark
Old 7th Dec 2016, 8:21 pm   #3
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 2 Motorboating

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Useful information there about capacitors. The radio was in a box of two Sovereign 2's and two Sovereign 3's given to me by 'sp10mk11'.

I've managed to make one good one from the two Mk 2's. The other one is an earlier AF117 model. Neither had an aerial but the Maplin LB10L looks quite good. Its shorter but does reach the P clip comfortably. No tuning scale for the other so I'll be on the look out for a wreck!

Both the 3's have poor tuning scales but one has the aerial and the battery holder so I haven't given up with them!

Cheers

John