UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2016, 6:27 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Technics SL-Q30 Direct Drive Turntable

This has been sitting around for ages but I got round to playing with it today.
The fault was when you powered it up it made a hummy noise and ran slowly backwards pulsing the drive in sympathy with the hum.

I looked close at the 2 hall effects and saw one had some very tiny bulges on the top. Quick look in the spares pile revealed an old JVC linear tracker with broken cabinet and direct drive turntable so i stripped it to find the halls were 4 pin out of one end like a transistor unlike the technics where they emerge from each end like an IC, also no pinout information available in the service manual but with nothing to lose I connected it up, same symptoms so I rotated it 180 degrees, still no effect I then turned it over re-soldered it in stuck the platter on top and was amazed to find it running and at the correct speed. What a result, just goes to show they are quite robust devices as you can insert them the wrong way round and wrong way up !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8128.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	133086   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8129.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	133087  
Old 21st Nov 2016, 7:34 pm   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Technics SL-Q30 Direct Drive Turntable

The repairs you don't expect to work are always the sweetest when they do!

Regards,
Paul
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 12:16 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Wonder what caused that sensor to fail? I'd associate bulges with some short/overheating, I would have thought though that the voltages used in such a circuit would be negligible....
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 12:55 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Nice work! I've got a Sony PS-Q7 on the to do pile with a dead hall sensor, I tried some from computer fan motors, bit they just were not right! Borrowed one from one of my Technics Sl-5's and it ran fine, one day it'll get fixed!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 8:45 pm   #5
nigelr2000
Heptode

Ben, I think it had been got at as there were a few screws missing and the hals are open to the world so if the platter was put on with it powered it might just have been shorted by the metal centre spindle

Hi Lloyd I have done a bit of research and I think the one I used is one of these
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Produ...hes/A1233.aspx and they show as still available
Closed Thread