UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2016, 10:00 am   #1
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Box of bulbs

I picked up a box of odds and ends the other day, full of bulbs, some common screw in bulbs, also two Mazda starter bulbs, not seen them before, a very small Atlas starter and some AM stamped 5L/2339 12v 30w bulbs, I have no clue what they would be for.
I can add a picture if anyone is interested.
Old 19th Nov 2016, 11:35 am   #2
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Box of bulbs

Hi Keith,
some clear pictures would be interesting to see.
Thanks - Mike
Old 19th Nov 2016, 2:31 pm   #3
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Some are more common bulbs, plus some odd starters.
I have no use for them, Just interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	132991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1278.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	132992  
Old 19th Nov 2016, 3:48 pm   #4
hansomcommon
Pentode

The two of thoes with black bases are old style flourescent (80w) starter switches, quite rare now, they give an excellent controlled switch on only when the tube is heated & give the tube a very long life.
Old 21st Nov 2016, 12:31 pm   #5
Brigham
Octode

I have four 5' fluorescent fittings in use which were fitted with that type of thermal starter. There were more, but some were scrapped before I was 'in charge'.
I think there is only one left with the original system still working. You can tell by the way it starts; ends lit first, then a quick 'snap' as the contacts open.
Two of the others have the rolling, flashing start typical of the glow-lamp type starters, having been modified, and the fourth, which I only finished reconditioning last week, uses an electronic delay switch which I have arranged to emulate the original type.
All four use bayonet-cap T12 tubes, of course.
Old 21st Nov 2016, 4:43 pm   #6
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Father in law is still using a bayonet tube in has garage, only because his old work place did away with them, so he has a loft full of spare tubes, trouble is the tubes seem to last forever and he has never had to change it, as yet.

He retired twenty years ago.
Old 21st Nov 2016, 4:51 pm   #7
Brigham
Octode

I'd guess he's using a thermal starter.
Old 25th Nov 2016, 12:07 am   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

I had never seen those early starters pictured before, although i have a 4 pin aluminium canned one, slightly larger than a modern one. Not sure if it's a different design or merely 2 starters in one can...? Not prepared to take it apart as may well wreck it in the process.

The modern electronic starters that can be used with older low frequency ballasts seem to work very well and are a good safety upgrade- the only time i have had to avoid using them was with 100 or 125w tubes that are quite slow to start on a cold damp day- the starter tends to go into safe shutdown mode as it thinks the tube is a dud.

I almost threw an 8' fitting away because of the horrible buzz that came out of it; the noise was then followed by 2 of the biggest bluebottles i ever saw emerging from alongside the ballast. The buzzing continued for a total of 3 starts, by which time 5 of them had emerged!
Old 25th Nov 2016, 4:08 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

Problems with cold damp day starting might be cured by wiping the tube with wax furniture polish, preferably silicone wax. It worked for me in a 4' conventional starter fitting in the garden shed that positively refused to start in winter, but now behaves perfectly, ditto a Crompton starterless "Snapstart" fitting in the kitchen that would only start when touched. I got the idea from a 1950's textbook which mentioned that tubes for Europe were generally silicone-coated to cope with the damper European climate, whereas tubes for the US market were not. The main problem I had was finding silicone furniture polish: most of the stuff now proclaims itself to be silicone-free. I just sprayed the tube and wiped off the wax with a cotton cloth as with normal polishing.

The two upper bulbs in the first picture would be intended for use in a projector or other optical apparatus where the light source needs to be positioned precisely. I have seen a much larger bulb with this type of winged base in an old film strip projector. You can see that the base consists of two brass cylinders, an inner nested within an outer. I think that the glass bulb would have been assembled to the smaller first, and then adjusted to get the filament at the correct position before soldering the inner and outer together.

Last edited by emeritus; 25th Nov 2016 at 4:27 pm.
Old 25th Nov 2016, 5:47 pm   #10
broadgage
Nonode

Old 4 pin starters may be off several different types.

A true thermal starter, with the starter contacts connected to the large pins and the heater connections on the small pins.

A glow starter intended to replace a thermal starter, with the glow bottle connected to the large pins and the small pins being linked together.

Or a "double glow" starter consisting of two identical and electrically independent starters in the same four pin canister. One connected to the large pins and the other connected to the small pins.
These usually had a blue anodised canister.
Each starter was designed for one lamp of a series pair of short lamps.
Mainly used in illuminated road signs.
Old 25th Nov 2016, 6:41 pm   #11
Gubbins
Retired Dormant Member

12volt 30watt bulbs:
Very old headlamp bulbs, Maybe?
Old 25th Nov 2016, 8:46 pm   #12
The Philpott
Dekatron

The 12v 30W ones look familiar but i can't quite place them. They are certainly similar to some long life emergency lighting BC ones i saw.

i dismantled said 4 pin starter as it was rattling anyway. The glow bulb and a ceramic cap are across the large pins and the small pins are connected to each other. A glow unit to replace a thermal one then, as mentioned above. A roll of insulating paper sits loose inside the aluminium case. The rattle was a lump of glass detached from the nipple.

The mention of silicone on tubes rings true; some i bought recently had been treated with it, now i know why. My usual source of silicone is lube spray used for curtain runners, bottling machinery etc.
Old 29th Nov 2016, 5:21 pm   #13
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the info, They will go with the other bulbs I have about, from WW2 German red and green signal bulbs to a big, movie floodlight bulb.
Old 30th Dec 2016, 1:48 pm   #14
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I wonder if the 12Volt 30 Watt lamps are for an Aldis signalling lamp. The filament orientation suggests they were intended for mounting into some kind of fitting with a reflector.
Just a thought...Tony
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 11:27 pm   #15
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I see what you mean, could well be, they will go in with my German signal bulbs then.
Old 4th Jan 2017, 12:16 am   #16
Oldcodger
Nonode

Something else to look for on 12v lamps ( if they are ex rail- they are lamps, bulbs are planted ) ,is if they carry lettering such as SL , BUT most rail lamps are double filament
Old 16th Jan 2017, 1:05 am   #17
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

German military signal bulbs, so I was told, a box of red and a box of green, 220v.
Closed Thread