UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2016, 3:22 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Blaupunkt 2430 "Virginia"

My restoration work on this radio is now virtually complete. It has been "on the go" now for a while. The service manual was only a circuit diagram and it would have been more helpful if there had been an under chassis drawing of the components.
Initially the scale lamp holder was broken and it was not easy to obtain a replacement, so I then tackled the repair on it. The centre terminal rivet had broken making the terminal loose and shorting out the internal fuse. I fitted a short bolt and nut as I did not have any rivets to hand, and this secured the lamp holder terminal. The fuse holder had also seen better days as the surrounding paxolin had broken away. I fitted a replacement 20 mm holder and secured it with cable ties to the remaining paxolin.
The switch marked "F-ANT" (for internal ferrite aerial) had been broken as far as the mechanism went, so I shorted out some pins to make the internal aerial work again. The aerial was on a swivel driven by a cord system. Each time the knob was turned the cord came off the pulleys, so I found that if these pulleys were kept apart from each other this did not happen. I then placed a plastic grommet between the pulleys and the aerial operated again (mechanically).
Those red coated resistors were very accurate in their values, and the capacitors seemed to be alright. I was very impressed with the 3D sound that this radio produced on F.M/UKW.
I have been tempted to replace the mains cable with 3 core type, and change the wiring so the fuse & mains selector and switch go to the live of the mains lead (but that is for a later date).
Cheers
Mike
Old 12th Nov 2016, 3:50 pm   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Blaupunkt 2430 "Virginia"

My dad was in a local fishing club. I used to go and pay his subs for him at a house a few streets away from ours. The fishing club treasurer lived there and in his living room he had a large Blaupunkt table radio. I was about 10 or 11 at the time and I remarked what an amazing looking thing it was. I was then treated to Radio 3 on FM and was astonished by the sound quality. It had a big meaty bass speaker and several tweeters dotted about inside. He took the back off for me to have a look at the glowing valves.

I think it's wonderful when an older person sees enthusiasm in a younger person and feeds it. I'd fixed a couple of record players by this time and so I was genuinely interested, especially when I found out you could connect a record deck and tape deck to the Blaupunkt. I told him about my exploits with record players I'd got from the tip. He went off and rummaged around and came back with a box full of radio bits for me. I've still got some of that stuff now...

O.k., I've gone a bit off-topic with this but the point is, I hadn't even thought about this for decades and now you've just brought it all back and now I want a Blaupunkt again...

And for that sir, I thank you most sincerely!

Excellent work by the way, another one lives to roar again!

Regards,
Paul
Old 16th Nov 2016, 3:20 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Hi Paul.
Many thanks for your feedback - much appreciated!
My hobby and sheer determination to repair vintage radio, is based upon what I saw as a small boy when my father was a radio and television engineer (1950's/early 1960's). Basically it is just about motivation and inspiration, and that radios can be repaired for all to enjoy in the distant future.
I hope to be able to write my memories of that time (which incorporates other memories like the railways before Beeching).
Also, I can send you a photograph of it later

Thanks again
Mike
Old 20th Nov 2016, 7:17 pm   #4
unitaudio
Heptode

Yep, love to see it!

Regards,
Paul