UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2016, 11:50 pm   #1
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Default Shrinking plastic grille replacement.

I am not sure if this is cabinet or a component. I was having a browse on e bay and spotted a possible replacement for shrinking plastic grills I could use if required. Put in something like this you should see it or similar. Woven Wire Mesh Sheet, 15cm and 30cm square. Fine Screen - Heavy Duty Coarse. I was wondering if the 30 mesh count would be suitable? I assume though it would require earthing?
Old 21st Nov 2016, 10:45 pm   #2
floodington
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Shrinking plastic Grille

Are you speaking of woven wire mesh - as in stainless steel (metal) as opposed to the shrinking plastic ( something like this: http://www.bwire.com )? If so - the 30 mesh count means there are 30 wires per inch of material. This is a very fine mesh - as you can imagine, this wire diameter is only going to be about .012" in diameter. This is a very fine wire, and this material can be very expensive due to the nature of the manufacturing.

Perhaps visit a local hardware shop to see if they can supply you with anything close, if not, like you said ebay - or amazon are always great sources, which can come in handy as well.

I was just curious if you meant that you were going to use metal instead of plastic or not?

Cheers!
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 11:51 am   #3
Station X

Default Re: Shrinking plastic Grille

The OP is probably thinking of something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woven-Wire...-/261836344201

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:22 pm   #4
floodington
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Shrinking plastic grille replacement.

Thats what I suspected we were talking about here...

Excellent example - thank you for specifying.
Closed Thread