UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2016, 5:48 pm   #1
ScottBouch
Octode

Default Cold-War Avionics

Hi all,

I've been steadily building part of my site aimed around Cold-War era Avionics.

So far it includes ARC-52, PTR-175 radios and their controllers, A1961 and A1961M intercom amplifiers, Breeze connectors, etc..

It's a work in progress, and my next pages will be Plessey Mk4 connectors, ARC-52 control unit, plus a few other odds and ends. I soon will hopefully be acquiring a PTR-175 radio so will improve on the 175 page by including very detailed photos and video of it.

So, here's the new page:
-> www.scottbouch.com/avionics.html <-

Cheers, Scott
Old 28th Sep 2016, 9:50 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Cold-War Avionics

Interesting! I love anything related to cold war technology / nuclear early warning, that sort of thing. Looking at the money spent on development at this period brings it home how serious the cold war was regarded by those at the top
Old 29th Sep 2016, 2:07 am   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got the amplifiers that came from the cinemas where the pilots were entertained while they were on stand by to be scrambled at short notice. Plessey MK4 connectors for both speakers and power. The scrap man got the projectors before I got there but the amplifiers make a very powerful home stereo.
If you want some photos just ask.

PS special security measures go in place if a Murphy B40 mains lead comes this way as my amps are 110V with the same key-way setting and could blow something if they are connected up.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 1:45 pm   #4
ScottBouch
Octode

Hi McMurdo, I'm glad you like it! yes, for me my interests in military aircraft are not about warfare, gun-worship etc.. it's the high levels of engineering you can see demonstrated in the technologies used. there are not many other areas where you get to sinker with such nicely made stuff!

Hi Refugee, I'd be very interested to see what these amplifiers look like, what station were they from?

Thanks, Scott.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 5:58 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I have dug out some photos that I took earlier.
They are dated 1954 and are branded Paramount but with the connectors changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0135.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	130670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0508.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	130671   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0651.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	130672   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0117.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	130673   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0109.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	130674  

Old 30th Sep 2016, 11:26 am   #6
ScottBouch
Octode

Hi Refugee, they are some hefty pieces of kit!!!

I can see why the scrap man would want them with that amount of cast aluminium!!

Great to see, thanks!
Old 1st Oct 2016, 3:43 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

The scrappy left them because the projectors that were screwed on top were not "contaminated" with copper wire and took up all the space in his truck. I also got the wire-mans box with loads of spare connectors in it. What cables were there were crumbling rubber. I chopped the connectors off as they were obviously keepers.
The amps sound all right and have enough gain to get full power with an input signal from an MP3 player or any phone except for certain Apple branded models.
They have a single triode phase splitter and use the other half of the double triode as an extra voltage amplifier.
Even the chassis itself is aluminum.
Closed Thread