UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2016, 10:41 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Murphy U472 VHF to 103MHz

I bought this for its extended VHF range and it was local. A bit tatty and dirty but looked to be all there apart from the Murphy nameplate. Inside was a replacement volume control and a melted wax capacitor but otherwise original. The output transformer was OK so I replaced all the Hunts and wax capacitors. Switched on whilst monitoring the HT and it came to life.

The speaker cloth was badly stained and dirty, tried cleaning to no effect, resorted to diluted toilet bleach which fixed it in no time and killed 99% of the germs. Near white speaker cloth is not such a bad thing after all.

Left it running for a few hours and VHF deteriorated. A search on this site revealed the screen grid decoupler, disguised as a resistor, had been found responsible so tacked on a replacement and VHF was back. Amazing that 60 year old sets exhibit identical failure characteristics. Set about checking others of the same type and there are three 0.01uF used for RF suppression on the heater chain, two inside the VHF tuner. All were showing leakage so I replaced them, probably a bit of an overkill but better than diving for cover each time a crackle is heard on the radio.

A final check and LW did not seem to do a lot. The aerial coil on the ferrite rod was o/c but it was the usual failure where it joins the tag so fiddly but simple fix. Back in the cabinet again and the radio is working fine. It is compact so the speaker is small and bass is a little light but its well built and most importantly goes that extra few MHz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	As Found.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	130537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	130538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	239