UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2016, 4:12 pm   #1
Barnmead
Pentode

Default Restuffing electrolytic capacitors.

I generally heat up the capacitor after removing the end cap and use a corkscrew to remove the contents of the aluminium can. Holding the hot can in a cloth in one hand and the corkscrew in the other can be hazardous and frustrating. Recently I had a brainwave which made the job really straightforward-see the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	129577  
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 5:18 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Restuffing electrolytic capacitors.

Last time I did an electrolytic like that one I bought some of those skinny capacitors that are often seen in flat screen TVs from a reputable supplier and drilled a 10mm hole deep enough to insert the first 10mm diameter capacitor. I then inserted a strong 10mm diameter object to hold the innards while I drilled the hole for the other capacitor. This I did to avoid wrecking the first capacitor if the drill snags while doing the second hole.
I did it without even removing the capacitor from the chassis.
A spot of epoxy was all that was needed to stop the capacitors falling out again.
Closed Thread