UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2016, 3:48 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Refurbishing Idler Wheels.

Butanone (the 2 is redundant because there are only 4 carbon atoms in a straight line, and you can't have a -1-one -- that would be an aldehyde) is the modern chemical name for what used to be called methyl-ethyl ketone.

Propanone is also known as acetone, and is found in nail polish remover.
Old 24th Mar 2016, 2:01 pm   #22
Beobloke
Heptode

Wouldn't it just be a lot easier and safer to send your idler wheel to one of those nice people who re-furbish them professionally?
Old 24th Mar 2016, 10:11 pm   #23
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have a can of Rubber restorer (don't recall the brand name) which i bought from CPC some time ago. Used it on a couple of cassette recorder pinchrollers this afternoon. Hadn't used the product for ages, in fact I forgot that I had the stuff. Seems to do the trick, though!
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 9:57 am   #24
Mike-repairman
Heptode

With regard to MEK, like others have commented on it, a horrid substance and should be used outside really. I used it in the composing room of the printers in the 60's to clean copper printing plates among other uses. It did make you feel a bit whoosy on reflection. Suddenly we got notice that it had been banned in our works; someone in the country had died from inhalation of the fumes; a lucky escape for us as it was used regularly all day in an enclosed space.

On a lighter note I had a light bulb moment the other day (not sure if anyone had thought about it before) but would it be possible to glue a small cassette belt around the outside of the rubber wheel with hot melt glue top and bottom?
I haven't tried this yet, will try and find an old jockey wheel and experiment when I get a spare minute. Refurbishment is very expensive I understand, and even second hand ones are fetching silly prices.
Old 11th Jul 2016, 11:27 am   #25
Mike-repairman
Heptode

EUREKA! Having hunted ebay and the web for rubber refurbisher I eventually found this one which works very well on the jockey wheels. Have experimented with some very old wheels I found in a box in the workshop and it brings them back to nearly new. It's around £10 a bottle (unfortunately no smaller sizes available) and sold by several sellers on ebay.

Instructions after experimenting. Firstly run a foam sanding block (fine side) around the rim of the wheel to roughen slightly. Pour a little of the liquid in the bottom of a tin and soak the wheel for around 2 hours. (Leaving overnight produced a few problems, although it worked it took several days of repeatedly drying with a kitchen towel to get rid of the excess which creeps under the rubber top and bottom of the wheel.) Soak the excess away with a kitchen towel two of three times till it feels dry. Then roughen the edge with the sanding block again. Amazing how it softens up the rubber.

As a bonus you can use it on your car door rubbers if they have gone a little hard, as this is what it is sold for.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubber rejuvenator.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	127302  
Closed Thread