UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2016, 5:15 am   #1
rbm1973
Pentode

Default Aurora wireless ??

is there any way to run the aroura wireless around the house ie a low power transmitter so i can keep the aroura in one room and receive signals via set top aerial ?

BVWS MEMBER
Old 16th Mar 2016, 12:01 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: aroura wireless ??

I think the Aurora has video and audio outputs as well as the RF output (someone who actually has one can probably confirm). If so, I would imagine that it would be possible to feed these into a video sender (available for around £25 each - put "video sender" into your favourite search engine) even though they are intended for 625-line signals, as long as they don't try to do clever things with a 625-line video signal. This would at least use an RF channel officially dedicated for this purpose - unlike feeding the RF output of the Aurora into an aerial system, which would be in breach of regulations.
Old 16th Mar 2016, 1:25 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Aurora wireless ??

See this thread to read why this is not a good idea: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=822763
Old 16th Mar 2016, 2:03 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I think the Aurora has video and audio outputs as well as the RF output (someone who actually has one can probably confirm).
The Aurora has video and audio inputs, but only one RF output. there are no other outputs.
I did try the aurora by feeding the RF in to a set top aerial, but the results were rather poor. Far better to have a wired distribution setup and avoid all the problems with harmonics.

Mark
Old 16th Mar 2016, 3:25 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks, Mark, for confirming that. As I say, I don't have an Aurora myself. I use a Domino, which does have a video output (audio, of course can be taken direct from the source).

Given the absence of a video ouptut, my suggestion falls at the first hurdle. I agree that a wired setup is the best way forward.
Old 16th Mar 2016, 4:11 pm   #6

You could use an aerial distribution amplifier. The input may need a bit of attenuation.

Old 16th Mar 2016, 6:27 pm   #7
FRANK.C
Heptode

My Aurora has both video in and converted video out sockets. The video out socket is a yellow phono socket beside the F connector.

Frank
Old 17th Mar 2016, 1:50 am   #8
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: aroura wireless ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I think the Aurora has video and audio outputs as well as the RF output (someone who actually has one can probably confirm). If so, I would imagine that it would be possible to feed these into a video sender (available for around £25 each - put "video sender" into your favourite search engine) even though they are intended for 625-line signals, as long as they don't try to do clever things with a 625-line video signal.
How would you connect the video sender receiver to the 405 line TV? 405 line TVs don't have scarts or video in sockets.
Old 17th Mar 2016, 7:04 pm   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
How would you connect the video sender receiver to the 405 line TV?
There are units that have composite video and mono audio inputs, they actually transmit via an extendable rod aerial. The problem is they transmit on UHF.

Mark
Old 17th Mar 2016, 9:47 pm   #10
kan_turk
Hexode

Most legitimate! video senders transmit in the low microwave region - typically around 2.5GHz and need to be used with corresponding receiver - in this application each receive point would require a receiver for video sender feeding a system 'A' modulator. This requires quite a bit of 'kit' but is eminently doable - video sender Tx & Rxs are readily available on auction sites - the system 'A' modulators less so but a trawl of this site, among others will yield some ideas. This may seem like an overkill but if you really need a 'wireless' solution this is the way forward
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 2:24 am   #11
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
The problem is they transmit on UHF.
There are plenty in this part of the world that transmit system B on VHF, but the FM sound isn't going to be overly helpful! I sent over a few that worked on channels NZ2/3 a few years ago to Kat Manton (I think she's still around on the forum) for some system A experiments, but I know at least one of them ended up feeding system B to a European set!
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 9:45 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Not so sure about that: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=735637
Old 26th Mar 2016, 11:13 pm   #13
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
There are units that have composite video and mono audio inputs, they actually transmit via an extendable rod aerial. The problem is they transmit on UHF.
Also at system I. But most important is that they are not legal to use in the UK.
Closed Thread