UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2017, 11:36 pm   #1
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Picture quality issue on NV-FS200

Hey,

Got myself a nv-fs200 which had a perfect picture on vhs and svhs inc pause and scan. Problem was the heads seemed a bit tight and when the machine was stopped and tape ejected the heads would stop almost instantly like they were binding. After asking a friend I wedged some card between the 2 halves of the drum avoiding the heads,and removed the top cap and 3 torx screws. The grease wasn't great and there was a brown tinge to the centre of the cap (indicating running and heat) thought while I was there that I'd undo the circlip to clean and the lubricate the shaft. Unfortunately my sausage fingers knocked the card out and the head dropped onto the lower drum (not with a bang or anything)

Got the shaft cleaned up and top greased and put back together.

I was faced with a terrible picture like dirty heads, despite cleaning it only improved slightly. LP scan forward/rew and pause are useless. Left the machine running a new pre recorded tape for 2 hrs, and the picture came back better and better. After a few hours and re cleaning the picture is nearly perfect but scam and pause are still the same. I checked for damage to the ferrite but there doesn't appear to be any adverse effects (unless the heads or one of the heads has been knocked out of alignment)

And anyone shed any opinions as to how to get this back as it should be? Heads aren't cheap if/when available (almost as cheap buying another machine)

Thanks

Steve
Old 16th Jan 2017, 1:53 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Picture quality issue on NV-FS200

Well, just the upper drum meeting the lower drum wouldn't theoretically knacker the head tips. I'd look at cleaning again before worrying too much. Try the business card or piece of paper method which seems to work well on stubborn clogs.
Old 16th Jan 2017, 4:16 pm   #3
Grubhead
Heptode

What Ben says seems right. With the added advice of clean everything the tape touches.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 7:33 pm   #4
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

The paper trick made it worse but took a lot of dirt off. Ran my tape cleaner (il burst into flames for this) through it a couple of times, then forward and reverse scan while using the tape. Tried a video and it plays flawlessly again.

Hooo flippin ray!!!

Thanks
Old 17th Jan 2017, 8:27 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Never ever use a cleaning tape as they destroy the head tips.

Should be lint free cloth and ipa.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 8:36 pm   #6
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Yeah I know but it's all I have handy, ran out of ipa using the paper as I had dregs left. . This particular tape is like lint free cloth rather than the harsh material on the cheaper tapes. Allsop with soft sweep. Has got a few of my machines displaying better even after a manual clean.

Pic of Harrison ford was before the paper and tape. The submarine (the abyss) is now. Svhs is better still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8085.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	136092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8081.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	136093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8024.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	136094  
Old 17th Jan 2017, 8:48 pm   #7
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Pics of the heads when removed for inspection, for anyone interested in what they look like split.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8017.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	136095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8021.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	136096  
Old 18th Jan 2017, 4:01 pm   #8
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Good job mate! In case you need a new head drum, the part number is VEH0467. However, because it's a 7 head machine, they are very expensive.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 5:36 pm   #9
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Yeah big sigh of relief. the fs90 has the same heads. Have a spare fs90 if it ever comes to it.

Bin that head cleaner, such a stupid idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8072.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	136116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8076.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	136117   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8075.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	136118  
Old 18th Jan 2017, 5:52 pm   #10
Rennie93
Triode

FS200 is a lovely machine - take good care of it. I'm still trying to find a good one on Ebay but the average cost is 200-400 euros!
Old 18th Jan 2017, 8:40 pm   #11
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Would you be able to import from the UK? Absolutely as new ones come up for around the £100 mark fairly regularly so worth keeping your eyes peeled. Sometimes you have to be quick.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 12:05 am   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Never ever use a cleaning tape as they destroy the head tips.

Should be lint free cloth and ipa.
Modern cleaning tapes consist of lint free cloth and have holes to add IPA. Not ideal but it will not immediately destroy the heads (not until the tape runs out and the recorder fails to stop, anyway). Only some older tapes (pre VHS era?) are made of an abrasive material and should indeed be avoided at all cost.

I have had succes using coffee filter paper, but the best (also relatively expensive) cleaners in my opinion are those small sticks with a piece of leather attached to it.

That said, in extreme cases a stronger dissolvent than IPA is needed. Several manufacturers have such sprays.

Last edited by Maarten; 19th Jan 2017 at 12:17 am.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 12:13 am   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauxfan2k View Post
Pics of the heads when removed for inspection, for anyone interested in what they look like split.
Technically, the heads aren't removed in those pictures, the head motor is disassembled with the heads in place. Removing the heads (actually the upper drum with the heads on it) involves desoldering the connections at the top circuit board, undoing 2 screws and then pulling the upper drum (by hand with gloves or using a head puller).

However quite interesting to see since I never had the need to disassemble the motor!
Old 19th Jan 2017, 1:02 am   #14
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Technically I never said heads removed from the drum, however removed from the machine. Would have been stupid to remove them from the drum for inspection purposes only. Replacement maybe.

Thanks tho
Old 19th Jan 2017, 1:09 am   #15
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

If you remove the head tips from the drum, good luck aligning them back to factory specs! And yes, on every VCR that has a head cleaner, I always remove it.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 12:54 pm   #16
Maarten
Dekatron

I should have clarified that you should never remove the heads from the drum since they are factory aligned I meant removing the upper drum with heads. That is done by the procedure I mentioned.
Old 20th Jan 2017, 9:18 pm   #17
Clydeuk
Hexode

While not technically the correct term, we always referred to replacing the "heads" meaning the upper drum assembly. Customers understood that better.
Old 20th Jan 2017, 9:49 pm   #18
TonyDuell
Dekatron

On some of the ealier (pre-EIAJ) reel-to-reel video recorders you did replace just the head tips. I have the service manual (no machine) for one somewhere and it gives a procedure involving mounting special microscopes to the deck to observe the exact position of the heads.
Closed Thread