UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2016, 11:32 pm   #1
QWENIX
Pentode

Default Racal RA17L Aerial range 1-2 Mhz

I am troubleshooting a racal for a friend. All works well except that its receiving nothing on 1-2 Mhz switch position.

What would you check first. All soldered contact spots on the switch (wafers) + Coil L8 and C233 ?

kind regards
Qwenix
Old 29th Dec 2016, 8:30 am   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Racal RA17L Aerial range 1-2 Mhz

I have found a few different faults in this circuit, but in the main, retensioning the switch contacts slightly has helped. I have also found broken wires where they attatch to the switch wafer.
Old 29th Dec 2016, 9:32 am   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

There is a Yahoo group called RacalRA17forum that might be of help

Craig
Old 29th Dec 2016, 11:55 am   #4
QWENIX
Pentode

Sean and Craig thanks for your comment. I know the Racal group, I'm a
member ... ;-)
Old 5th Jan 2017, 12:33 am   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Check for a burnt out coil for that range. I've had that, although not on that range.

Al.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 12:56 pm   #6
QWENIX
Pentode

Depending on what the user said to me. He said in position 1-2 bit deaf...(on the end of the band between 1500 and 2000 kHz In the position 1-2 Mhz.) This is the band he uses the most.

I am not capable to realign filters so hands of and no adjustments made. less knowledge and no equipment to do this. Only wanted to improve as far as my knowledge goes...

problem: No aerial tuning possible. Peaking is out of reach anticlcockwise.

I first checked the valves. Result 1 mixer E180F warm shortcircuit, other mixer E180F lost vacuum.. white inside. The 6F33 bad emission.

All tested on the TV7D/U good or bad...

Changed all three and checked all the rest of the valves. All OK.

Result aerial tuning back on track and good reception on all bands. Peaking with aerial tuning withing the adjusting rotation possible.

In the receiver was no GZ34 fitted springretainer was still there and under the chassis a B250C1500 fitted..

Impression was that this receiver was heavily used... and hard smell of nicotine...

Further actions internal coax had bad soldering. So cracking sound sometimes So resoldered that one. 1 Mhz crystal pins and socket cleaned.

Strange enough the EK90 mixers inside are very sensitive for chassis vibrations. Changing them into other EK90 made no difference.

No realignment done.

Checked all bands and aerial tuning works. Receiver is back to the owner.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 10:55 pm   #7
Aubade65
Tetrode

I have also had issues with the EK90/6BE6 mixers being sensitive to vibration also with them not seating properly in the valve holders, even after replacing both valves and the holders - almost as if the valve pins were undersize.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:12 am   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Racal RA17L Aerial range 1-2 Mhz

If you have valve holders that are of the type of construction whereby the individual sockets have pins that only make a contact with the edges of the valve pin - change them for the type of socket that uses a 'wrap around' type of contact. I've had more trouble with those edge-type sockets than I care to remember. They seem to be common in Eddystone radios.
A similar argument also applies to turned-pin i.c. sockets - for same reasons.

Al.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 7:09 pm   #9
Colinaps
Pentode

First job I do on any deaf or dead Racal is to give all the valves a wee wiggle!
Often as not, it results in some signs of life.

Colin.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 9:34 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Cheap "McMurdo" B7G/B8A/B9A valveholders are always worth treating with suspicion - the brass used for the stamped-from-sheet contact-forks has a distinct tendency to crystallise and after a few decades you get a fracture at the base of the forks which means they no longer make proper contact with the valve pins.

Wiggling the valves can sometimes temporarily restore contact - but it's only a temporary affair. To be assured of future reliable contact you need to replace the valve-holders. I've got a drawer-full of "Cinch" valveholders here reserved for this.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 1:07 am   #11
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Indeed: your experience and remedy matches mine.

Al.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 1:23 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

There's a lot of valveholders in an RA17!

But I don't think the loss of one band in the preselector, but not its other bands could be a badly connected valve. There will be plenty of gone-high resistors and leaky capacitors to track down as well, to get the beastie running reliably, but there sees to be a hard fault in a coil set or a switch

David
Old 19th Jan 2017, 11:49 am   #13
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Racal RA17L Aerial range 1-2 Mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
There's a lot of valve-holders in an RA-17!
Indeed there are. I have had more than just a few RA-17 and Eddystone radios across my repair bench over the years, but the above described problem with the valve-holders has been rare on the RA-17 but quite common on the Eddystones. That might be due to the Racals having been used in a more benign environment than the Eddystones. Might be due to a higher degree of QC in the former, compared to the latter. Each were aimed at a different market, with a price differential that reflected that!

Al.
Old 20th Jan 2017, 1:42 am   #14
Colinaps
Pentode

The valve contact issue is often due to the set having been stored in a damp shed or shipping container between the last "official" user and the surplus market. The same could well cause corroded litz wire to solder joints. I've also seen SM caps inside coil cans going open circuit.

It's as well to have the VFO1 out anyway to replace the 100k resistors in the cascode amp; also the VFO output will almost always be cleaner and more stable after replacing the Rs and Cs in there. You can check out the switch and inside the relevant preselector can while you're in there - I'm sure one of us will be able to sort you out with a spare if need be.

I usually only give the valve sockets a gentle clean if they aren't charred or broken.

Being signed off work with a prolapsed disc, I guess I'm excused Racals for a bit!

Cheers,

Colin.
Old 20th Jan 2017, 9:47 am   #15
vosperd
Hexode

There are still some broadcast sations on the 1-2 mc/s band. Do they come through on the "Wide Band" setting?
Don m5aky
Closed Thread