UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2017, 9:17 am   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default What radio am I thinking of

In the 1960's my father bought a small Bush transistor radio. It was quite 'fat' and was a grey/blue and cream plastic and dropped into a lemon yellow leatherette case. The red thumb wheel volume on top and the tuning again via a thumb wheel that laid horizontally and accessed at the top right front panel with the tuning scale laid out on the wheel viewed through a clear section on the top panel. It had a fixed light program LW on one end of the tuning wheel and then MW. I recall it was made on a pressed aluminium chassis rather than printed circuit. I did see one on here once but failed to note the model number. Happy memories of listening in bed to Luxembourg. I'd like to try and find one but can't see anything like. If someone can suggest the model number please.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 9:37 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: What radio am I thinking of

Sounds like a Bush TR104, that was the first transistor radio I repaired when I started in the trade back in 1964:

http://www.vintage-radio.com/manufac...h-trannie.html

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jan 2017, 11:51 am   #3
Nicklyons2
Octode

The 104s I've seen were two-tone green with a cream speaker grille but other than that I agree with Lawrence a 104. PP7 batt, big 'old penny' screw head in middle of the back, big 'LW Light' segment black lettering on white. Leatherette case (with very long strap) in light tan or lemon. Some carried the phrase 'long player' under BUSH, if memory serves, the later ones. Sounded not bad for the size but not very sensitive. 3 X AF117s and 3 X OC81s.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 7:48 am   #4
terrybull
Octode

Spot on. That's the one.
Thank you. Now I need to find one. It struggled to get Luxembourg in the East Midlands.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 10:08 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Nice little radio. I can't remember if they did them in various colours. My example here appears to match your description. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush TR104.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	136112  
Old 18th Jan 2017, 5:04 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Mine too, except the Bush logo is slightly higher and it says "Long Player" underneath.
Old 21st Jan 2017, 6:38 pm   #7
terrybull
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Nice little radio. I can't remember if they did them in various colours. My example here appears to match your description. John.
Your photo is identical to the one I remember.
Closed Thread