UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2016, 8:19 pm   #1
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Default Valve simulation software?

Hello,

Does anyone know of any valve simulation software? Something like electronics workbench but with valves.

I normally use Livewire. Is there any, preferably free, downloadable valve simulation software? Failing that, downloadable valve models?

Many thanks,

Carl.
Old 11th Dec 2016, 9:32 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Valve simulation software?

LTspice doesn't have valves in it as it comes from Linear Technology inc, but there are internet groups doing all sorts with it and there are various valve model files you can download.. and there's chat group support to help you go it.

Some people are a bit scared of LTspice because it is a full blooded professional tool. But actually, it's quite friendly and has a good community around it. You don't have to use all the heavy features, but they're there for when you grow into them - you don't have to get and learn a new simulator. Oh, and it's free.

David

David
Old 24th Dec 2016, 4:12 pm   #3
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

I have LT spice now and I'm going to download a triode model later on. Let you know how it goes.
Old 24th Dec 2016, 4:32 pm   #4

Duncan amps has some valve simulations to download.

Old 29th Dec 2016, 3:31 pm   #5
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hi,
I use Microcap 10 for circuit simulation for various things and whilst I have not used it for valves it does simulate a small selection. There is a free demo version that does small circuits and sections of circuits but as soon as you get to the full amp like the one shown then the full licence is required. Valve models are also limited in the demo version, you get a 6L6 and a 6V6 and a few triodes but you can edit your own. Some of the models are those provided by Duncan Munro.

http://www.spectrum-soft.com/index.shtm

Hmmm! Just checked the price for the upgrade from the demo , this is a professional package at $4500.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	135087  

Last edited by G4_Pete; 29th Dec 2016 at 3:44 pm. Reason: Added the price
Old 29th Dec 2016, 4:19 pm   #6
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hi, I just played with this , if you delete out the first valve and its components you fall within the permitted demo component count and can then edit the parameters and run the simulation.
But that is the limit of my expertese on this. - off to check my adopted horse now before it gets too dark and cold athough from the charts I see we are gaining a minute daylight each day now.

Pete
Old 17th Jan 2017, 10:53 pm   #7
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that gents. I'm struggling with Ltspice.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 12:21 am   #8
joebog1
Banned

If you use a Unix type box, Qucs (Quite Universal Circuit Simulation) might be worth a look.
There is a Windows version, but I don't know anything about Windows.

Joe
Old 19th Jan 2017, 12:38 pm   #9
dominicbeesley
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishrocket View Post
Thanks for that gents. I'm struggling with Ltspice.
Stick with it if you can - it has some annoying quirks and many gotchas but is so widely used that you can get models for most things or there are tools to make models of "odd" valves.

I'd not start with valve stuff first as getting it to work well requires a good understanding of LTSpice. Have a go with some simpler transistor circuits first. There's lots of tutorials on line.

D
Old 20th Jan 2017, 4:06 pm   #10
Vicboduk
Hexode

As others have stated do persist with LTspice. I found with the simple triode models that I used for my pantry transmitter (see here) the simulation was very close to the real thing – much closer than I expected.
Although LTspice has valve symbols available there are no models associated to them, they need to be downloaded. Unfortunately most I have found need a little tweaking before LTspice can use them.

I’ve attached some files that should help you to get going. Triode.lib; Valves.zip; Valvetst.asc.
I’m assuming you are using a Windows machine – Place the Triode.lib file in the folder “sub”;

Program Files(x86) > LTC > LTspiceIV > lib > sub

I like to have all my valve symbols in the same place, create a folder called “Valves” in the “sym” folder;

Program Files(x86) >LTC >LTspice > lib > sym

Extract the Valves.zip files (all files with the extension of .asy) to this folder i.e.

Program Files(x86) >LTC >LTspice > lib > sym > Valves

Run LTspice, now when you go to the add component menu there should be a Valves folder, double click on this and a selection of triodes should be available.

Finally, Valvetst.asc, is a simple test file for you to try; use the Open file option under the File menu.
It is a simple amplifier being fed from a sine wave source of; zero offset, 100mV pk-pk, 1kHz.
SINE(0 100m 1k)

The simulation is set to; Transient, start recording from zero time, stop after 10mS, no minimum step value
.tran 0 10m 0

Click the simulate button (running man), a graph will appear with no trace, move your cursor to the schematic window, the cursor will change to a probe icon when it is close to a node (connection),
Click on the Anode of the valve and an amplified trace should appear.

Hovering the probe near a node will show the DC operating condition in the lower left hand side of the screen.

Hope that helps.

Vic
Attached Files
File Type: zip LTspice files.zip (11.1 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Vicboduk; 20th Jan 2017 at 4:12 pm.
Old 20th Jan 2017, 8:46 pm   #11
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Vic. At the moment though my feelings towards LT spice echo those I have towards autocad. I could make a part on my lathe faster than I could draw it with autocad. I think I could build a valve circuit to test faster than I could simulate it with LT spice too!
Old 21st Jan 2017, 12:35 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

That's normal at the start.
If you persevere, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. If you don't it won't cause you any grief because you won't know what you're missing.

It can be used at many levels. A simple analysis of a simple circuit is pretty easy and then as you get more familiar, you'll find you can do more. This is the real advantage of startint with a proper tool and not a toy. There are simpler simulators but once you reach their limits (rather soon in some cases) you have to get the next better tool and start all over again learning its different way of working. A full-blooded Spice tool can take you all the way. I use it on power supplies as it was intended, and also at microwave frequencies.

It can do valves, but start with transistor circuits using the built-in types for learning the tool, then when you're comfortable try with valves.

David
Old 21st Jan 2017, 12:03 pm   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

Have Linear Technology added much in the way of proprietary extensions to the (over-permissively licenced) original SPICE engine, or will these component models work with versions that remain true to the Open Source spirit, such as NGSpice?
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 12:58 am   #14
electronwilly
Hexode

Location: Westerhope, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, UK.

Hi Carl the nearest ive come to seeing for valve circuit design is TUBE CAD by Glassware Audio Design, it runs on 32bit windows software, XP or earlier. let me know how you get on, Cheers Billy G7LER.
Closed Thread