UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2017, 10:07 pm   #21
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: Benkson radios

The Benkson has been brought into line.
The issue was an awful lot of noise but not much in the way of signal coming through.
To me that suggested a flaw early in the IF strip.
The first IF transistor was an anonymous silicon transistor in a black encapsulation.
I swapped it for a 2N3904, hit the bullseye first shot.
Far less hiss and much more gain.
It sounds about how you would expect a 1970s portable to be. Not a massive amount of bass, yet the larger speaker & deeper case means it does not sound like a demented wasp inside a Coke can, as a pocket radio may.

Flushed with that success I decided to try and clean the dial...
Gave up that sharpish when the faded 'BENKSON' vanished forever. I was only using some wet T.P. I wiped over common soap. Doesn't make much difference when the rest of it looks like it was retrieved from the shed and dusted off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2269.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	136107   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2270.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	136108  
Closed Thread