UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2016, 12:05 am   #21
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: Help Needed For Video On Hacker Radios

Enjoyed that, great!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 13th Nov 2016, 12:51 am   #22
unitaudio
Heptode

I didn't think the narration was particularly fast or hard to follow but then I would say that, I'm from Manchester!

Regards,
Paul
Old 15th Nov 2016, 3:14 am   #23
ComfyReviews
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
I would "like" it if I could but it wont let me, you have to join google or something, and that's never going to happen.
Looking forward to the Hacker story, narrated at a relaxed pace.
No worries, I understand not wanting to give your data over to Google. Thanks for the view anyway!

I've taken all your constructive criticism on board and will try to make the next video longer and narrated at a more leisurely pace, I'll let you all know when it's up!
Old 15th Nov 2016, 9:20 am   #24
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

First class.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 11:56 pm   #25
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Cutting from immediate post war to the Nomad seemed chronologically awkward. Edward
I suppose it depends on what material is available.

There does seem to be a dearth of information on the post-WWII valve era Dynatron models. Still, one may derive a rough overview from items and advertisements in the pages of Wireless World (WW) and elsewhere.

A starting point would be the Merlin console radio receiver described in WW 1946 August, which with its T69 tuner appeared to set the standard for Dynatron’s post-WWII circuitry.

Another marker is the Ether Conquerer Series V radiogram, with T99A tuner, as advertised in WW 1952 September. This I think was the point where Dynatron adopted miniature valves for small-signal functions.

Dynatron also supplied shipboard broadcast receivers to Marconi, based upon its elaborate tuners, and the start of this activity seems to have been recorded by an item in WW 1953 August.

The Ether Marshal, with its T139 tuner, as advertised in WW 1954 September, marked the high point of Dynatron’s post-WWII AM-only radio circuitry.

The resultant 1955 product line was listed in the 1954 Radio Show catalogue.

Thereafter Dynatron also moved into hi-fi components. Its advertisement in Hi Fi Year Book (HFYB) 1957 is illustrative of its early range. Its preset FM tuners (FM1 and FM2) were used as the basis for BBC receivers. The T10 and FM1 tuners were both listed in HFYB 1956, as were the TC10 control unit and LF10 amplifier. So it looks as if this range had been planned before the Ekco buyout (announced in WW 1955 August) and was not a consequence of it.

A late view of Dynatron’s hi-fi range, including stereo equipment, is provided by an advertisement in WW 1959 March.

From Practical Television for 1958 February is an item on the TV32 TV receiver, from the Ekco era but probably embodying the previous Dynatron philosophy.

That the post-WWII UK market was a difficult one for Dynatron is I think well illustrated by a comment in WW 1951 October as a prelude to discussion of some of the export radio receivers seen at the 1951 Radio Show, namely: “In general the export versions of most manufacturers’ sets contained the refinesments, which, before the days of purchase tax, would have been available at a price attractive to the home market.” Dynatron’s electronics certainly included all of those refinements, and its cabinets were definitely in the “carriage trade” class. It does look as if selling the electronics separately, and in industrial form, could have been a later development that was the result of the suppressed demand for complete receivers and radiograms. And no doubt the Marconi and BBC business was welcome.

Scans of the first five of the above-mentioned items are attached; the rest will follow in subsequent postings.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 194606 p.209 Dynatron Merlin.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	132900   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 195209 p.74 Dynatron.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	132901   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 195308 p.370 Marconi Mimco.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	132902   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 195409 p.110 Dynatron.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	132903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Show 1954 p.93 Dynatron.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	132904  

Old 17th Nov 2016, 12:01 am   #26
Synchrodyne
Nonode

The remaining scans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HFYB 1957 Dynatron p.164.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	132905   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 195703 p.54 Dynatron FM Tuner.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	132906   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 195508 p.358 Ekco-Dynatron.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	132907   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 195903 p.18,19 Dynatron.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	132908   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTV 195802 p.342 Dynatron TV.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	132909  

Old 17th Nov 2016, 5:33 am   #27
ComfyReviews
Triode

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it, but the original intent of this thread was to ask for scans and information like this to help with the work I was doing. I posted on the Hacker/Dynatron Facebook groups, Yahoo groups, and here. Only after I made the video do people come out of the woodwork saying I have a dearth of information on certain eras and some helpful resources. Before that I didn't get any help at all (thanks to the people in here who pointed me to some useful sites).

I can only work with what I had found before hitting Adobe Premiere and since this is an obscure topic I struggled to find material and, more importantly, visuals to go along with it. Maybe in future I'll go back and make a more comprehensive look at Dynatron with the additional help people have provided but giving me this information now is too little too late to be honest. I'm thankful you took the time to write this and upload images but I'm not keen to reupload the Dynatron video a third time because it'll annoy my subscribers, most of which aren't a fan of my channel for my vintage content.

Thanks again anyway, if you have anything post-Dynatron about Hacker Radio I'll be sure to include it in the upcoming video!
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:36 am   #28
Nukeybrown
Heptode

One word to say about your video......

EPIC.

Only criticism is I could watch it for an hour.

As a Hacker collector with some 50 Hacker radios , I'm pleased you're passionate about Hacker and the history of both the brothers and the company, which I doubt will ever be repeated.

Thank you for taking your time and effort to make this video and look forward to a longer one for Hackers.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:15 pm   #29
Thyristor
Pentode

Are you familiar with the work of Adam Curtis ?
Apologies if you are.

His BBC documentaries, consist of archive footage, music, captions, stills, and an off-screen narrator.

One of his recent works is 'Bitter Lake'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gyz6b

It was just a thought, as there are similarities with what you are aiming for.
Old 28th Nov 2016, 7:39 pm   #30
ComfyReviews
Triode

Hey Vintage Radio, thought I'd give you all a little update since I know I've been quiet. The video has been delayed as I've been working a 60 hour night shift temp job at a popular online retailer named after a rainforest. I've pretty much had no time to eat or sleep much less sit down and edit. Rest assured I'll get it done as soon as I can!

I'm covering the 60s-70s Hacker years, if any of you have any good resources like books on the radio scene of the time, music suggestions, photographs or videos I can use then fire away!
Old 16th Dec 2016, 1:49 pm   #31
ComfyReviews
Triode

Does anybody have any HD footage of the Hacker Herald? I tried to buy one online but was scammed by the seller. Preferably 1080p. Thanks!
Old 16th Dec 2016, 3:30 pm   #32
Radiocruncher
Hexode

I have videos on my YouTube channel of the RP10 in HD https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FlLgzE6TSz3dNP. Which version of the Herald were you after as I have most here and could shoot you footage.

Regards

Graham
Old 16th Dec 2016, 4:35 pm   #33
ComfyReviews
Triode

Thanks Radiocruncher, any model of Herald is fine, I only own the RP38 so I've been using pictures from eBay auctions for the other Hacker models. Not the most exciting thing to look at.

If you have any other models (Sovereign etc) I could use the footage on that too! I'll credit you in the description and in video, really appreciate it. Even simple front shot, top shot, and a left or right angle would be superb! My email is comfytechreviews@gmail.com if you want to fire anything across.

Last edited by ComfyReviews; 16th Dec 2016 at 4:40 pm. Reason: hacker
Old 16th Dec 2016, 4:48 pm   #34
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Okay I will see what I can come up with. How soon are you wanting it? I will probably send you links to unlisted videos as I'm sure you are able to extract what you need from them.

Graham
Old 16th Dec 2016, 4:57 pm   #35
ComfyReviews
Triode

I don't have a firm deadline really, I've left employment again to focus on celebrating Christmas with family so I'll be slowly working on part 2 over the next week or two. Take your time and merry Christmas to you!
Old 16th Jan 2017, 11:16 pm   #36
ComfyReviews
Triode

New episode of History of Hacker Radio here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fn1pmPWPr4

Hope you're all well
Old 17th Jan 2017, 8:13 am   #37
crackle
Rest in Peace

Well done, nicely put together, impressive amount of research must have gone into these videos.
I had to block Youtube cookies in order to get around the "agree to our terms to abuse your data" clause.

Thanks for the video.
Mike
Old 19th Jan 2017, 8:12 am   #38
ComfyReviews
Triode

Thanks, glad you liked it. David Hacker reached out to me about a few errors, I'll see if I can organise an interview.
Closed Thread