UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2017, 6:16 pm   #1
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Capacitors in series, should I get the same effect?

Hi,

(yes i know capacitors in serries fall in value)
My question is, say for example i use x2 ceramic capacitors wired in serries, to achive say a capacitence of arround 150pF (it doesn't have to be an exact value) to give a battery record player a bit of bass, on the stylus input resistor, and the other side wired to ground, wich works well beacuse i've tried it, say i did this perhaps beacuse i hadn't got a single 150pF capacitor in the junk box, but made 150pF up out of x2 capacitors in serries.

Would i get the same amount of umph? using the x2 capacitors in serries, to achive the 150pF capacitor value, as i would if i just used a single 150pF ceramic capaitor, on it's own as you normaly would do.

I have experimented with this briefly, and seem to think, that using the two capacitors in serries to achive a given value, the sound seems to be a bit more shallow, as opposed to just using the one capacitor on it's own.

But i can't tell if it's my imagination, tieredness, or mind over matter, so i just wondered, and was interested to see what others thought.
thanks, paul.
Old 16th Jan 2017, 6:22 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Capacitors in serries should i get the same effect?

2 300pF caps in series are the same as a single 150pF cap. 2 150pF caps in parallel are the same as a single 300pF cap. There is no difference.
Old 16th Jan 2017, 11:25 pm   #3
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: Capacitors in series, should I get the same effect?

Thank you paul, sorry for late reply, yes that's an easier way of putting it, do they work in the same way, i must be tierd, so obviously they do then.

Thank you, that's great paul

Paul.
Closed Thread