UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2017, 6:02 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Testing a Nuvistor on a VCM163?

Has anyone on the Forum ever tested a Nuvistor on a 163? I've been trying to do it (both a 6CW4 and a 7586, which have the same pin outs) but I'm not getting meter readings and I can't see if the heaters are lit . Checked out the selector settings (080 400 010 2030 00) in various different editions of the Avo Data Manuals and they all say the same.

Maybe the socket is badly tarnished after decades of nil use?

B
Old 13th Jan 2017, 6:51 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Testing a Nuvistor on a VCM163?

Might be worth doing a resistance check on the heater pins. Also it should be possible to measure heater current somehow with a supply and multimeter away from the machine. It's possible the book settings are wrong but I have never had cause to test a nuvistor on mine so can't advise you there.
Alan.
Old 13th Jan 2017, 7:54 pm   #3
Dekatron
Octode

I've seen quite a few poor sockets but also loose wires on the underside, some have just come off of the socket pins and some pins have been broken but I've also seen shorts as the wires are soldered quite close to each other and some of those shorts didn't happen until the nuvistor was pressed down into the socket.
Old 13th Jan 2017, 8:25 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Hey....it's working - with the selector settings noted above, getting good readings as per book. Either there's a socket-tarnish problem or some wiring problem that I need to find, but it eventually delivered.

It is a very long time since I did anything with a Nuvistor and I had forgotten how fine those "pins" are and how getting them to sit properly in the socket requires a "confident" push (and a prayer?). I think some good contact cleaner/lubricant is advisable.

Thanks for the comments.

B