UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 12th Jan 2017, 5:41 pm   #21
stevehertz
Nonode

Default Re: Jabez Gough - Welsh wizard?

So the HF must bounce off the angled lid? Seems a bit hit and miss to me, I'm imagining that the frontal, on-axis frequency response must be pretty bad? But clearly the speaker is much loved and respected by lots of people! Maybe its design philosophy is akin to Bose's whereby their designs account for the fact that in real life situations sound doesn't only come to us from the speakers but from all over the room.
Old 13th Jan 2017, 2:29 pm   #22
RojDW48
Heptode

Default Re: Jabez Gough - Welsh wizard?

I don't know how much loss is involved in the reflecting of the higher frequencies but the off axis performance is a bit better than most forward firing speakers - I guess because the reflection widens the angle a bit? I had an old Decca Stereo Decola for a long time - with its 12 mid range drivers firing in all directions the off axis performance was astonishing - the Gough is nothing like as good as that.