UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2017, 4:24 pm   #1
Nic-15fl
Hexode

Default Unusual problem with my video tape player.

It's making some kind of squeal or squeak noise when I play a tape through the machine and it.s not with any specific tape. Even my home movie titles cause the tape to make the noise and I have recently run the tape head with a cleaning tape, so it can't be the problem.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 4:36 pm   #2
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: Unuseall problem with my video tape player.

Make/model of VCR?

Thanks.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 5:04 pm   #3
Nic-15fl
Hexode

Bang & Oloufsen Beocord V-800 MX series.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 6:51 pm   #4
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Rubber belts and idlers dry out and squeak as they harden. The felt brakes for the reels also dry out and squeek. You're going to have to open the lid and inspect these parts. May be a good idea to check the availability of spares before removing anything.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 7:02 pm   #5
John123
Heptode

Not familiar with this model, but if the capstan motor is a direct drive type it's possible the sound is emanating from its vicinity. Often the cause (as mentioned) is friction on the little felt brake pad that rests against the capstan flywheel.

Take the bottom cover off, locate the brake and rough-up the felt, a little. That's usually all it takes. Of course, I could be barking up the wrong tree altogether! Best to let your ears be the guide!
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 7:32 pm   #6
Nic-15fl
Hexode

You think that's why it's causing the tape to disappear into snow?
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 9:06 pm   #7
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

If the belts are worn and slipping then the machine won't run the tape at the correct speed and yes you will get "snow" and distorted sound. If the machine had never been serviced or had the belts changed then this is your first and easiest point to check.
Old 4th Jan 2017, 1:57 am   #8
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: Unusual problem with my video tape player.

You can pinpoint the squeak better using a drinking straw as a stethoscope.
Old 4th Jan 2017, 10:25 am   #9
Nicklyons2
Octode

Check the tape guides and static heads for a buildup of residue (usually black & sticky or like talcum powder). The dirt greatly increases the friction & drag on the tape and squeaking is often a symptom.

Cleaning tapes, IMHO, are a menace and won't remove big buildups of the type I'm describing anyway. A cotton bud moistened with Propanol or methylated spirit should remove most of this gunk; if it's been there a while and really hardened on to the guides/heads you may use a very small quantity of metal polish, (e.g. Brasso), to remove it but remember to clean it off with Propanol.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 11:19 pm   #10
Nic-15fl
Hexode

well, i gues its just general of being sitting stil in a basement but the tape player sems pretty stable for the time, i needed to simply give it a run with my basic cleaning tape and its playing picture fine now.
Closed Thread