UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2017, 12:23 pm   #1
sylar2a
Triode

Default Reel to reel MP/DP 3-2 1-4 ST PAR switches

Hi, can you tell me what are 3-2 1-4 st par and MP DP switches on N4407 philips machine. I have one that I restored, but I am noob when it comes to audio. Thank you
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 2:05 pm   #2
dragonser
Heptode

Default Re: Reel to reel MP/DP 3-2 1-4 ST PAR switches

Hi,
as far as I know the 3-2 , 1-4 ,stereo, parallel
selects which tracks the machine will record on and play back.
in stereo the machine records, plays, back both the tracks at once. I think parallel will play back both tracks as mono.
I'm not sure what the MP DP switches would do.
Hopefully someone more familiar with the machines will be able to confirm.
regards Peter B
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 2:26 pm   #3
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The first is the track selector switch. Position ST gives stereo recording and playback. Because this is a stereo 1/4-track machine, it can also record and play back in mono for twice as long on a given tape, by using one head at a time, which was considered useful when tape decks were often used for recording from a single microphone. Position 1-4 uses the head at the edge of the tape (left channel in stereo mode) to record / play track 1 on side A and track 4 on side B. Then, by switching to position 2-3, the inner head (right) is used instead to make another pair of mono recordings on the same tape, track 3 on side A and track 2 on side B. PAR stands for parallel, i.e. mixed playback of both heads, e.g. for trick recordings where commentary and music are on opposite tracks.

DP means Duoplay, where you can play back one track while recording another, e.g. record live sound on track 1, then make another recording pass to add commentary on track 3 while listening to the original recording. MP means Multiplay, which is similar but 'bounces down' the original recording onto the new track as well, mixed with the incoming signal. The mix of the two cannot then be altered in playback but the original track is freed up to make a third recording.

None of the above functions are required for recording and playing back stereo music though!

Last edited by Lucien Nunes; 3rd Jan 2017 at 2:35 pm.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 8:42 pm   #4
whyperion
Hexode

A highly useful summary, better than the Philips manual!
Old 9th Jan 2017, 3:01 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post moved here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=132888
Old 10th Jan 2017, 9:00 pm   #6
sylar2a
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
The first is the track selector switch. Position ST gives stereo recording and playback. Because this is a stereo 1/4-track machine, it can also record and play back in mono for twice as long on a given tape, by using one head at a time, which was considered useful when tape decks were often used for recording from a single microphone. Position 1-4 uses the head at the edge of the tape (left channel in stereo mode) to record / play track 1 on side A and track 4 on side B. Then, by switching to position 2-3, the inner head (right) is used instead to make another pair of mono recordings on the same tape, track 3 on side A and track 2 on side B. PAR stands for parallel, i.e. mixed playback of both heads, e.g. for trick recordings where commentary and music are on opposite tracks.

DP means Duoplay, where you can play back one track while recording another, e.g. record live sound on track 1, then make another recording pass to add commentary on track 3 while listening to the original recording. MP means Multiplay, which is similar but 'bounces down' the original recording onto the new track as well, mixed with the incoming signal. The mix of the two cannot then be altered in playback but the original track is freed up to make a third recording.

None of the above functions are required for recording and playing back stereo music though!
Thank you!
Closed Thread