UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2017, 1:31 pm   #1
sylar2a
Triode

Default Philips N4407 Lubrication

Split from: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=132688
Thank you so much! One off topic question, does anyone know thread or some info on how to lube this philips machine reels. Mine has a hard time fast forwarding and reverse when tape angle on heads and that other things down there gets lover than 140 degrees if you know what i mean. it just can not pull it

Last edited by AC/HL; 9th Jan 2017 at 3:02 pm. Reason: Thread split
Old 10th Jan 2017, 12:45 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4407 Lubrication

The most important thing is the condition of the main drive belts (one from motor to spools/idlers, another at the rear for capstan).

One one of these I looked at 20 years ago the Fast forward idler had deteriorated. The linkages used also get sticky, especially the boomerang-shaped one used in rewind. You may get away with removing he c-clip, moving the bracket up or off, and cleaning the shaft.

As with most single motor transports, after 40 years these need a fairly extensive strip down and all the old lubrication cleaning off the linkages.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 9:42 am   #3
sylar2a
Triode

Default Re: Philips N4407 Lubrication

I have already replaced all belts and idler, cleaned everything including speed changer hand/shaft, capstan is moving freely, but i will lubricate it a bit. But reels, they are hard and I can't get to them
Closed Thread