UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2017, 4:14 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Smashing time

Hi all

Whist having a bout of insomnia on Saturday night I found a film called 'smashing time' on YouTube. It's a British film from 1967, set in swinging carnaby street.
At one point the characters are looking in an electrical shop window, anyone know the TV they were watching?
What's funny is it made me think that there is nothing new under the sun, in one scene they visit a pie restaurant where you can only eat pie. All the fashionable people go there to be seen (cereal cafe today), the main character also becomes famous for wanting to be famous (reality stars) was great to see the London of 1966 though.

Cheers

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9707.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	135666  
Old 9th Jan 2017, 4:20 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Smashing time

I think it's a Bush, perhaps TV105 or TV115 series chassis, I am sure they did a cream cabinet version.

Frank
Old 9th Jan 2017, 5:31 pm   #3
Colourstar
Octode

Ah, one of my all-time favourite films! It's a satire on the whole 'swinging London' scene and stars Rita Tushingham and Lynn Redgrave. Great fun and highly recommended if you can find it. Very much of it's time. File with 'Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush' and 'The Bliss of Mrs Blossom' etc.

I think I can gain an extra point for spotting that the slatted speaker grille and side-mounted controls just to the left of the shot belong to a Philips dual standard model (pre Style 70).

Steve
Old 9th Jan 2017, 8:42 pm   #4
neil29
Heptode

I've got a TV109 here that I haven't even looked at properly yet .

Cheers
Neil.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 3:13 am   #5
suebutcher
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Ah, one of my all-time favourite films! It's a satire on the whole 'swinging London' scene and stars Rita Tushingham and Lynn Redgrave. Great fun and highly recommended if you can find it.
It is good, but I think it's looked down on in some quarters because it isn't a rock and roll "lad" film filled with nameless dolly-birds. Such is the snobbery of cool.