UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2017, 6:38 pm   #41
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: FM closing?

I was an early adopter of DAB radio. I hoped for something different from the BBC and pop 'n' prattle stations. For a while there was a good choice with stations like Prime Time, Jazz FM, theJazz, Planet Rock, etc. Then it all got watered down. Jazz FM has come back nationally on DAB+. Guess what - my three DAB sets bought at some expense are bog standard DAB.

The way to get people to take up DAB is to offer programming to which people will want to listen. BBC 6 Music (though it's not my choice) has gone some way in this. I find the current radio landscape disappointing. The commercial stations go for the lowest common denominator and with increasing competition for advertising cake from from hundreds of TV channels and the internet are engaged in a race to the bottom.

At home much of my listening is now online - mainly to stations beyond these shores that provide programming to my taste and of which there is a dearth in the UK.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 7:01 pm   #42
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Why do you think that those two countries FM closure decisions would impact on, or even influence us in the UK? I don't see any correlation myself.
You can't just consider this is terms of engineering or technology.

It's the nature of modern politics. If a government (of any political party) wishes to impose a change that will upset a section of its voters, they will look around for anything that can be presented to help "justify" their decision. The idea that "other countries are doing this, why should we be behind the times? " will be a good selling point. So this news will be a useful nail in the coffin.

Trust me on this, I have attended a lot of think tank events and government presentations on all sorts of public issues ...
Old 8th Jan 2017, 7:05 pm   #43
whyperion
Hexode

Ahh, yes, we are muddling the technology with the content ( 'Genre' and <technical> Quality ). Much as in the SW/MSW days of alternatives like Radio Moscow English Broadcasts, Voice Of America and so on, the choice world-wide has become much larger due to internet casting and streaming. (As long as one considers the internet to be truly resiliant to those whom might attempt to twart what we might call democracy ).

But we also have differening Digital Platforms, FM(on ones Mobile Phone), Internet - on hand held devices /smart TVs/ Personal Computer Devices, Digital TV, Satellite/Cable TV, DAB, and now I see DAB+. All (including limited somewhat for FM) broadcast a visual signal as well as audio one, giving rise to potential push advertising as well as for local radio on DAB I notice I get weather reports and travel updates, on TV I miss the Cricket Scorecard displays (I think Sky thought the BBC were infringing their TCCB agreement or did BBC scale back what it broadcast ?). Again though each ones visual content is slightly different, but it does give us some possiblities of how to integrate, if possible, old and new technology.
At present standards converters are limited it seems to Auroras, but how far is it possible to hack Raspberry Pi or similar small format computers to take a feed (or selection of feeds) , selected by say variable or fixed step rotary mechanical switches , rather than a keyboard , and output to ones audio stage amplifier and/or ones 405/625 or whatever display unit, bringing back into use the likes of the combined radio/tv units, or just ones favourite large kitchen or living room radio?
Old 9th Jan 2017, 2:34 am   #44
hans
Heptode

I'll lose my FM in a couple of months. I'll then have a lot of radios that are "useless". The car radio in my van can't easily be replaced as it is a part of the dashboard. It is possible to buy "adapters" that converts DAB to FM but these units are in my opinion not traffic safe.

Many people here, and even some politicians, are against the FM closing, but there is too much prestige in it. Too much have been invested. FM is being closed due to the low adaption of DAB, now people must use it. Most people didn't see any use of DAB as the coverage wasn't good enough, the extra programming offered wasn't interesting or they didn't care. The extra programs offered on DAB didn't offer much. It is mostly "playlists" of classic, jazz, rock, oldies, soft rock and some foreign programs like BBC.

The main problem with DAB is that the coverage is not as good as FM. If you get a bit out of the populated areas there is no reception. This might be a problem in an emergency. The foreign car tourists also have no chance of getting traffic messages as DAB radios aren't usual elsewhere. (Well most tourist don't understand Norwegian anyway.)

Well, we have interesting times ahead. I think DAB is obsolete, it is like introducing the telefax today...
Old 9th Jan 2017, 6:15 am   #45
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
Quote:
Why do you think that those two countries FM closure decisions would impact on, or even influence us in the UK? I don't see any correlation myself.
You can't just consider this is terms of engineering or technology.

It's the nature of modern politics. If a government (of any political party) wishes to impose a change that will upset a section of its voters, they will look around for anything that can be presented to help "justify" their decision. The idea that "other countries are doing this, why should we be behind the times? " will be a good selling point. So this news will be a useful nail in the coffin.

Trust me on this, I have attended a lot of think tank events and government presentations on all sorts of public issues ...
On reflection I take the very valid points you make re our government using the actions of others as an excuse to make changes. However I fail to see how you considered my initial comment to be based on engineering or technology. My view was an open one, not based on anything in particular, simply that 'what happens in another country does not necessarily have to happen to us'.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 7:32 am   #46
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
'what happens in another country does not necessarily have to happen to us'.
Which seems to be a very good point to close this thread.

We've been here before and no doubt will re-visit the subject many times before we loose FM broadcasting.