UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2017, 5:38 pm   #1
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default Test phone 290

I have just been fortunate enough to pick up two brand new and boxed 290 buttsets, both made by Hosiden Besson. Both work perfectly, except for last number redial, which is apparently dependent on a small internal battery, which has probably by now gone flat (both units date from 2013). The handbook suggests that these should be replaced by the factory. Has anyone ever tackled this job, and if so, how easy is it? It looks as though the cases will separate easily enough - they appear to be held together with a couple of Phillips screws, but I don't just want to charge in!

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 6:03 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Test phone 290

My test butt at work has a crosshead screw to remove then the case sort of prises apart to reveal a PP3 which is used for functions such as line monitoring etc. Otherwise the phone takes it's supply from the line AKA central battery working like any other phone. I can't remember who it's made by, even though I look at it every day at work. I'm pretty certain the battery is switched off after a set time, otherwise it's difficult to know when it is powered up, due to the monitor function being a toggle on-off with no power on indication whatsoever. PP3's seem to last a while though.
Alan.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 7:06 pm   #3
Euros1951
Triode

Default Re: Test phone 290

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPO-BT-Eng...8AAOSwEzxYcnMa

Do you mean one of these?? If so remove the three screws on the back and place a PP3 in position.
Closed Thread