UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2016, 10:25 pm   #1
daveofthedale
Retired Dormant Member

Default ULTRA reel to reel circa 1970ish

hi guys, hope you can help with this one.
I have laid hands on my partners Ultra reel to reel recorder/player, it dates to about 1970 and has been in out loft for at least 25 years. I know nothing about them and nothing about electrical equipment generally but I would like to either repair/service, sell/donate after a refurb.

The question is as follows; should I bother, is it worth it? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 29th Dec 2016, 12:53 am   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: ULTRA reel to reel circa 1970ish

Most late domestic models of open-reel tape recorder (i.e. as opposed to semi-pro or studio models) are not very sought-after, because they have limited usefulness and very few have much aesthetic appeal. By their nature, electromechanical devices such as tape decks sometimes require a fair amount of work to get them back into good order, so the effort is frequently only justified by a personal interest in the machine or a need to replay vintage tapes. Any work you do or money you spend on it is unlikely to result in a corresponding increase in value!

Someone somewhere might be interested - try looking at completed online auctions for an idea of what they go for. Beware items offered for sale at unrealistic prices, that have not yet sold, as they can give a false impression.
Old 29th Dec 2016, 7:58 am   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

If your date of 1970 is correct, your tape recorder will be one of two basic types made by the Thorn group. They all use valves in the electronic circuitry, rather than transistors.

The cheaper models used the same basic tape deck mechanism, with "piano" key type tape transport controls located in the centre, near the front, 5.75" diameter (maximum) size of tape spools and a "magic eye" type of record level indicator. The more expensive models had two tape speeds and four tracks, rather than a single tape speed and two tracks.

The top of the range model used a more sophisticated tape deck, with three tape speeds, four tracks, 7" tape spool size (maximum), a meter to set the record level and the six tape transport control keys located at the front, on the right hand side.

The top of the range model only uses one drive belt, for the tape position counter and should be fairly straightforward to get going. When overhauled, it ought to give very acceptable quality results.

Last edited by dazzlevision; 29th Dec 2016 at 8:01 am. Reason: Added text.
Old 29th Dec 2016, 8:56 am   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here are a couple of photos, to help you ID your Ultra tape recorder. The second photo is of a Ferguson "top of the range" model, but the Ultra version is exactly the same, apart from cabinet styling differences.

I should add that Thorn introduced a new range of reel-to-reel tape recorders after the ones I have discussed and pictured, with transistorised electronics and a new, cheaper to manufacture tape deck mechanism. However, I am pretty confident that no models were ever made using the Ultra brand (only Ferguson and Marconiphone).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra 6214 tape recorder 001.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	135082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 3214 tape recorder 001.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	135083  

Last edited by dazzlevision; 29th Dec 2016 at 8:59 am. Reason: Added text.
Old 29th Dec 2016, 11:09 pm   #5
daveofthedale
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks. The first sample picture is almost exactly the same apart from a selector for the size of tape and 1,2/3,4 track selector buttons. the next thing is, I'd be quite happy to have this refurbished but there doesn't seem to be anyone in my area, Again many thanks for your guidance.
Old 30th Dec 2016, 12:20 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

You have a Thorn DB42 type deck. These are actually quite decent little machines, solid and well made, yours being slightly more versatile having two speeds and 4 tracks. The main limitation is the lack of 7 inch spool capacity, but it will play stareo using the correct add-on via a multi pin socket. It also has auto tape stop on foil strips at tape end. Worth getting going IMHO.

You will need to open the top and examine what happens when the keys are pressed. The spool tables ought to shift but often don't due to hardened grease. The rubber wheels will probably need the edge going-over with fine sandppaer to restore grip and fast wind. A drop of oil on the bearigns of the motor and capstan may be a good idea. These are the main mechancical things to look at; the electronics may also need some work but let us know in due course.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 7:42 pm   #7
daveofthedale
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again. I will take your advice and check the innards, I don't mind this kind of technical challenge and I'll give it a go.
Closed Thread