UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2017, 4:59 pm   #1
Peterdee
Triode

Default Yaesu FT101E problems

Hi there
I better introduce myself as a newbie. Name is Peter C/S G0JJI.
I have been QRT for about 15 years, and as now retired with more me time, I thought I would get back into amateur radio again. My main interest has always been QRP CW and I have built homebrew tcvrs from kits, but now I thought I would venture into QRO. Not having a bottomless wallet, and as I have always been a fan of valves, and switches that go 'click' and controls that you can turn with all fingers and not just 2 I decided to have a look at the 2nd hand market, and was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of used valve and vintage equipment on auction sites and commercial traders lists. So to cut a long story short, I have now acquired a Yaesu ft101e tcvr. Having settled it into its new home, I eagerly switched it on, connected my end fed LW with unun balan and bingo stations coming in loud and clear. Compared to my homebrew rx, where reception was anything but good, this was marvellous, and working on all bands. So now for the TX. Connect dummy load(yes it is good for high power) went through the tune up procedure in the manual, switch to "MOX" on "TUNE", turned up carrier control and got movement on needle, preselector, plate and load controls all maxed on external power meter, carrier control raised and lowered power ok. So now tried to transmit by pressing mike button, and could only get reading on pwr meter on "TUNE" and "AM", nothing on LSB, USB or CW. The same applies on "MOX" position.
I plugged in the key, switched to CW and zilch. I could hear the morse coming over the speaker though.
I wonder what mode I am transmitting in on "TUNE".
So that is the problem, dodgy mode switch do you think, or could the problem be deeper?
I am not a radio technician only an operator basically, so any help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks in anticipation

Peter
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 6:05 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Yaesu ft101e problems

There is a contributor to Practical Wireless magazine called Harry Leeming, who has an awful lot of experience with these rigs. It may be worth getting in touch with him as I have read a number of his articles about problems associated with the FT101, as well as other Yaesu transceivers.
Alan
M1CEU.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 7:57 pm   #3
PeterRoberts
Pentode

Default Re: Yaesu FT101E problems

Hello Peter,

On USB and LSB, have you tried whistling into the mic when you transmit? Start with the mic gain setting at about 4. You will not get any RF output on LSB or USB unless you have audio going into the transmit path when you PTT.

On CW you will need to set the MOX/VOX/PTT switch to VOX or MOX to get any output when key down. Output level is controlled but the carrier setting.

On Tune, you are in USB mode but with the balanced modulator unbalanced with carrier being output.

I hope that this helps,

Peter
G4DJB
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 9:58 pm   #4
Peterdee
Triode

Default Re: Yaesu ft101e problems

Hi Biggles
thanks for info, but I think Peter Roberts might have solved my problem. Silly me!
Old 4th Jan 2017, 11:22 am   #5
Peterdee
Triode

Hi Peter
Apologies if you get this message twice, not got used to the system here.
I feel a fool! Of course, whistled as you suggested and it seems fine now.
On CW, it seems ok on MOX, but lots of clicking going on in the back somewhere on VOX, so wont use that.
80M seems a bit weak, can only get a few watts on meter on that band.
Ok thanks again for your help
Peter G0JJI
Old 4th Jan 2017, 1:55 pm   #6
PeterRoberts
Pentode

Hi Peter,

Glad it was as simple as that! The 80m issue may be helped by a bit of alignment but that will require removal of covers, etc.

The CW on VOX is for full break in and you may be able to reduce the number of relay clicks you hear by adjusting the VOX level and delay controls (underneath the top lid). I assume you have a manual? The purpose of each control is listed in there.

I would suggest that you consider joining the FT-101 Yahoo Group as it has a lot of helpful information there.

How much do you know about the history of your radio? There are a couple of capacitors in the FT-101 (C13 and C131) that are prone to going leaky with age and can cause serious problems such as blowing of fuses, damage to PA valves and even damage to the mains transformer if not caught in time. If in doubt as to whether these have been changed I suggest you consider replacing C13 and C131 (1kV mica types) that couple the driver anode to the PA grids, and check that you have the correct value and type of mains fuse fitted. From memory, it should be 3A quick blow type for a UK mains supply. There are other components that do age in that radio but C13 and C131 are the ones that can cause major issues.

Peter
G4DJB
Old 4th Jan 2017, 3:44 pm   #7
Peterdee
Triode

Peter
Thanks for the info re the two troublesome caps. Yes I have a manual so will get round to replacing them. And i'll check the other points too.
Noted the Yahoo FT101, will certainly check that out.
Thanks again
Peter
Old 1st Mar 2017, 11:25 am   #8
Peterdee
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRoberts View Post
How much do you know about the history of your radio? There are a couple of capacitors in the FT-101 (C13 and C131) that are prone to going leaky with age and can cause serious problems such as blowing of fuses, damage to PA valves and even damage to the mains transformer if not caught in time. If in doubt as to whether these have been changed I suggest you consider replacing C13 and C131 (1kV mica types) that couple the driver anode to the PA grids, and check that you have the correct value and type of mains fuse fitted. From memory, it should be 3A quick blow type for a UK mains supply. There are other components that do age in that radio but C13 and C131 are the ones that can cause major issues.
Peter
Want to open this post again. Re replacing C's 13 and 131. I had a look inside the rig and looks like I will have to dig deep to find. It is beyond my non-technical abilities to delve in there, I might do more damage than good.
Also the old girl is playing up on transmit. Gives a good 100w out when working ok but occasionally won't let me tune up the TX . I make sure the heater is switched on for a good minute or so. Can get a reading on the meter in MOX position, and selector works, but won't let me tune up on the plate and loading controls, no power out on external pwr/swr meter even on dummy load.
With all of above in mind know anyone who can sort this rig out for me, preferably in the southern region?
Regards
Peter
Old 1st Mar 2017, 11:56 am   #9
Station X

You can seek a repairer by posting in this section:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Mar 2017, 5:57 pm   #10
PeterRoberts
Pentode

Hello Peter,

Sorry its giving you problems, but a couple of things you could try yourself before getting somebody else to look at it.

1. Remove all of the plug-in boards and clean the edge connectors (on the boards and the mating sockets in the radio). I use an old tooth brush and some contact cleaner spray to do the job.

2. Use the contact cleaner spray on switches and pots and give them some exercise at the same time to make sure that any dirt or contaminant is removed.

3. There are two relays in the radio, one in the top / centre of the radio just behind the VFO and a smaller one in the PA compartment. They could probably both benefit from a clean with the contact cleaner. Put the contact cleaner onto some stiff paper strips (I use bits of old envelopes), open up the contacts, and pass these between the contacts when the contacts are closed to give them a good clean.

Just make sure that when working on the radio the mains cable is removed and the radio has been powered down for some time to allow the voltages inside to dissipate. There can be ~ 700V on the PA top caps when working!

The contact cleaner doesn't need to be anything special - if you have a Maplin or similar nearby then they should have something.

Good luck,

Peter
G4DJB
Old 1st Mar 2017, 8:24 pm   #11
Peterdee
Triode

Peter.

Thanks for the advice again, I have some contact cleaner, and will do as you say. Come to think of it, I did think the MOX/VOX switch was a bit dodgy. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, so that'll be the first job.

Peter
Closed Thread