UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2016, 12:11 am   #1
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default 706L accessories switch

I have a 61 706L with an off on switch, I have had them on other phones and use then as a mute switch mainly.
This one as per normal has had all the wires cut to the switch and has had a basic rewire.
But strapped to the switch looks to be a bulb, small and thin.
If it is a bulb, what would be the point of it, as I wouldn't have thought it could be seen though the phone.
Old 12th Dec 2016, 2:38 am   #2
jjwayle
Tetrode

Default Re: 706L accessories switch

Not by any chance a very thin clear glass bulb? Could be an early thermistor to stop bell tinkle on party lines, common on the black 312 i think bakelite phones but usually by the 706's the thermistors were a black plastic blob with a couple of black leads. Other than that could be a non standard mod where someone else has bodged the phone to do something else e.g. house to shed set up?
Old 12th Dec 2016, 3:18 pm   #3
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Thermistor you say, I looked it up and found, Shared-Service Adaptor, used on the 706.
Which look very much like what it is.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	134278  
Old 12th Dec 2016, 5:36 pm   #4
jjwayle
Tetrode

Yep thats a thermistor, early style! Must have come from a set up where the phone was on a party line!
Closed Thread