UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2016, 10:15 am   #1
TasMan01
Retired Dormant Member

Default Christmas Tree lights. Fuse bulbs blowing.

First post here so I hope this is OK.
I much prefer the older style lights than modern LEDs, very homely! We have four sets of Noma Pickwick which we have bought over the past 2 - 3 years. We are having endless trouble with the fuse bulbs blowing and looking for some advice. The four sets are plugged into a multi block which is switched at the wall double socket. Also plugged into this multiblock is our TV. When we switch the TV on the lights come on and vice versa. The sets that are blowing will just randomly fail, they don't specifically blow when switched on. They will work for a few hours and then a set will fail, always the fuse bulb. Since we put our tree up last weekend we have had a set fail almost every day and I have run out of fuse bulbs! More on order from Nomadirect but this will be the last order. I much prefer the Pickwick style of sets but they just seem to be totally unreliable and will probably have to re-think for next year. Any ideas why the fuses keep blowing, bearing in mind the sets are newish, stored properly etc. I did wonder if it was the way they were being switched on via the multiblock but as they seem to fail randomly I am thinking this isn't the cause. I wondered if you can you get slightly higher rated G1 fuse bulbs ? Many thanks Dave
Old 11th Dec 2016, 11:58 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Christmas Tree lights. Fuse bulbs blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasMan01 View Post
The four sets are plugged into a multi block which is switched at the wall double socket. Also plugged into this multiblock is our TV. When we switch the TV on the lights come on and vice versa.
Do you really mean this?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Dec 2016, 12:38 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

This sounds like the OP switches the TV off at the mains when not in use. I assume he means the TV will come on to standby when the mains is turned on.

Mike
Old 11th Dec 2016, 6:17 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

I assume when you get them to come on, that the other normal bulbs are all lit? These are stay-alight types so bulbs in the string are designed to fail to short circuit.
I've had pickwicks on our tree for a few years now with no problems, I also use a remote socket.
Old 11th Dec 2016, 6:18 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Higher rated fuse bulbs probably not available; and for a good reason. I would suggest plugging the light strings in elsewhere for a few days and seeing what happens, also put a rotary timeswitch on them so they switch off at bedtime regardless of whether you remember to do it. Something tells me having a TV in the same multiblock is not a very good idea. You might also try a different multiblock, the quality of them is very variable, and they DO wear out in time. It is JUST possible that a surge occurs when the TV is turned on or off, weakening the filaments. Unlikely, but possible.

How many bulbs are in your NOMA strings? The normal reason for the fuse bulb to blow is because a couple of other bulbs have blown in the set and the power is escalating. There is a faint possibility that the fuse bulbs being fitted are of the wrong rating, eg 6v ones in a 12v string of lights. Check 'em!

Good luck
Closed Thread