UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2016, 12:32 am   #1
els1967
Pentode

Default Earpiece problem

I bought an 330 off Ebay and it turned up with this odd looking earpiece, well I've never come across one before being a bit of a noob to this.

When testing it, it shows open ctt, a visual inspection would suggest it's intact with no obvious breaks on the outside so I'm guessing it's an internal break and so not repairable.

Would be very grateful to know if there is anything more that can be done to fix it....? In case I'm missing something blindingly obvious.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	133983  
Old 7th Dec 2016, 12:46 am   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Earpiece problem

It's a perfectly normal receiver: 'Receiver 1L', being the older type of receiver as opposed to 'Receiver 2P', being the more efficient, equalised version with the pole-pieces behind a solid wall. Both receivers were made encased in either metal or bakelite.

It should read about 80 Ohms or so on a d.c. measurement.

Can you tap into a terminal and the centre-wire joining the two bobbins, or is it too heavily varnished? Have you had the bobbins and magnet out of the case by removing the four screws at the back? It is possible to repair them, but it depands where the break is.

I would think it unlikely the break would be buried within the windings unless it's been fiddled with.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 6:10 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Internal breaks on such coil are, alas, not uncommon. It's the famous 'green spot' corrosion. I have a pair of headphones from a WW2 bit of equipment using a similar design and all 4 coils (2 in each earpiece) are open :-(

It should be possible to rewind the coils (they are not potted), but whether you want to do that is up to you.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 9:07 am   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I may have a spare set of coils, already on pole-pieces, if you're really stuck. But have a go first!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 10:56 am   #5
els1967
Pentode

Thanks for the info chaps. I did take it apart (a little bit) and found that the ends of the windings look in good order and are well connected/soldered to the two "pillars". The windings are joined together between the pole pieces and insulated with a blob of what looks like resin, so I can't even get a reading there. Again, it looks in vgc. The wire itself looks to be well insulated so no chance of a reading elsewhere and no evidence of any fiddling.

So it looks like they are broken some where inside.

What's green spot corrosion?

Thanks for the offer @Russell_w_b
Old 7th Dec 2016, 6:43 pm   #6
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi.

Green spot by nature, has a green coloured sticky appearance (Algae) that can form on copper, it's corrosion that eats into the copper with age, all copper will go green with age eventually. Think of it as similar to a copper roof turning green over many years.

In old electrical transformers and windings, the green deposits will eat into the copper wire and eventually the result will enevitably be that it will snap, it's your worst enamy in copper windings.

Keep transformers and windings as dry as possible, that helps, but it doesn't mean total immunity, the dreaded gundge can still strike at any time.

Paul.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 9:17 pm   #7
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by els1967 View Post
When testing it, it shows open ctt, a visual inspection would suggest it's intact with no obvious breaks on the outside so I'm guessing it's an internal break and so not repairable.

Would be very grateful to know if there is anything more that can be done to fix it....? In case I'm missing something blindingly obvious.
Do you have all the parts? http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collectio...et_tele164.htm

dsk
Old 7th Dec 2016, 10:10 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Are you sure about the algae? I would have thought that the green is simply copper carbonate (verdigris) that forms as a result of the copper oxidising, then carbon dioxide and water forming a weak carbonic acid with which the copper oxide gradually reacts - or at least that's what I remember from chemistry lessons at school.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 11:45 pm   #9
els1967
Pentode

Deffo all there dsk.

Found out tonight one of the bell coils is open ctt. too tonight .

The diaphragm looks a bit rusty around the edges so maybe there was some water ingress at some point.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, not one of my best buys though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	134023  
Old 8th Dec 2016, 1:22 pm   #10
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi Dave,

Yes you are right, that's it, "verdigris" I couldn't remember that word so I was trying to describe it the best way I could

Thanks, Paul.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 3:36 pm   #11
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I have a few 'Receiver 1L's and they all have a thin yellow varnish over the magnets, the bobbins, and the inside of the case. The later 'Receiver 2P's I have don't seem to be varnished.

Does this 'green spot' verdigris get through varnish, then? I've never had any fail, but I'm certainly mindful of it now!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 10:16 pm   #12
ionburn
Heptode

I came across an old one of mine that has been in store for 10 yers or so. On unscrewing the cover the first thing I noticed was a detached wire. I remember repairing it many years ago for the same problem. I think the wirting is more stressed outside the coils.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 11:52 pm   #13
els1967
Pentode

By way of an update, I unwound one of the coils to find a break about 3/4 of the way in. No sign of corrosion or stressing, just a clean break.
Closed Thread